MBP vs MBP Retina

Reaction score
My MBP is used as a desktop computer, with an external Apple 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse. The MBP sits in a stand behind the monitor and is seldom unplugged. It is a mid-2009 with 8 gb of Ram and a 159 gb HD which only has 10gb free. So I either need to replace the drive (long discussion in another thread), or buy a new MBP. Given my setup is there any benefit to the Retina display given that I use an external monitor and seldom open the case on the MBP?

Thanks,

Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're having no performance issues with the current MacBook Pro…just install a larger hard drive.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Im not sure that any of the Retina graphics would even be available or could be used by an Apple 24" monitor which must be getting on in age by now.

And as the MBPro doesn't move or go anywhere, why not consider an iMac. And if you want to go wild, the latest 27" Retina iMac may work for you. ;) ;) :D

Or just replace the MBPro drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or wait for the new 27" Thunderbolt Retina display! (My prediction, not a rumor.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It must be nice…you guys with the "fat wallets" and the expensive solutions!;) OP just needs something like a 7200rpm 500gig hard drive for around $50 bucks.:)

Unless the OP is "itching" for a reason to buy a new computer!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

A mid-2009 is getting on in age, and the graphics on it, maximum RAM etc are real limiting factors on it. Primarily due to OS X's increasing reliance on better graphics (which has been echoed in many programs), I upgraded to a mid-2012 as it was quite affordable and does everything Yosemite offers with ease. It is essentially the same model Apple sells in the 13-inch configuration today, albeit with minor improvements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It must be nice…you guys with the "fat wallets" and the expensive solutions!;) OP just needs something like a 7200rpm 500gig hard drive for around $50 bucks.:)

Unless the OP is "itching" for a reason to buy a new computer!;)

- Nick

Hmmm… well the OP did ask to know IF a Retina model would be worthwhile for his use and setup… but I did fail to mention installing a replacement 7200RPM HDD which I would say is an excellent suggestion, but I'd add to recommend using a WD Black model.

… … ...
Or just replace the MBPro drive.

Not really a "fat wallets" comment I'd say. ;) :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but I'd add to recommend using a WD Black model.

A great idea…just a little bit extra cash (not too much).:)

Not really a "fat wallets" comment I'd say. ;) :D

I never said EVERY suggestion you made was a "fat wallet" idea…just the "new iMac" suggestion!;)

The "just replace the MBPro drive" is/was a great idea:)…except that it was already mentioned earlier in the thread (by me)…4 minutes before your post!lol;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, it never hurts to reinforce a good suggestion - yours as it was. ;) And quite often the WD Blacks are on sale to save on those extra bucks...

But gee, I did say "..if you want to go wild, the latest 27" Retina iMac may work for you. " I guess I should have highlighted the wild part and provided a tongue-in cheek smiley. ;) :D

But really, the possible thought of someone buying a top end Retina 15" MBPro that would just sit on a desk made me shudder a bit. For a few more dollars, they could have a 27" Retina iMac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem solved (I hope). Just ordered a 480gb SSD from OWC. They are fantastic to deal with, very helpful without being pushy, at all. I got the drive and the migration kit, so in 3 business days I should receive the package and begin the change/transfer process. It's good to know that OWC is there if I get stuck.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and comments.

Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved (I hope). Just ordered a 480gb SSD from OWC.

Well...that probably wasn't the least or most expensive choice (somewhere in the middle.;) This will definitely make your computer feel snappier...and you got quite a bit more storage as well:)

Good choice!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But gee, I did say "..if you want to go wild, the latest 27" Retina iMac may work for you. " I guess I should have highlighted the wild part and provided a tongue-in cheek smiley. ;) :D

I understand.:) I was just teasing with you guys about the "fat wallet" suggestions.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand.:) I was just teasing with you guys about the "fat wallet" suggestions.;)

- Nick

Yeah, I did catch your previous winks.

I guess I just have a bit too much Irish humour at the back of my brain with some of my comments. ;)

Patrick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.