MBP touch 13" and Apple DVI Cinema Displays

GCH

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum and really hope someone can help...
I bouught the new 13" touch with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, with AppleCare a touch under £2.5k, and frankly I'm hugely underwhelmed and dissapointed.
I have a 21" Cinema display (DVI) which worked fine with my old 2011 Thunderbolt mbp via a display port adaptor. However that adaptor into a TB2 to 3 doesn't work, so as Apple don't make one I bought one for £30 off ebay. The display works but flickers.
I contacted Apple Care Support who stated that "I was the only person in the world to have this issue" ( ! ) and to expect "issues" with new kit. After they spoke to their software engineers they deemed the fault to be with the adaptor and they could not recommend one, and that I would just have to keep buying one until I found a work around/solution which is unnaceptable.
I don't want to be a Beta tester for Apple and I do expect a "pro" machine to be just that. I can even excuse having to change connectivity and having to buy into it, but this machine should work with Apple displays however old, or Apple should make an adaptor/dongle.
I've tried to post on the ASC but for some reason I can't (letttering is invisible).

There are numerous other issues with this pile of c**p and I'm at the point now of going to my local Trading Standards Office and getting them involved as you can't complain directly to Apple.
Any help most appreciated
Rant over
Apologies
G

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bouught the new 13" touch with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, with AppleCare a touch under £2.5k, and frankly I'm hugely underwhelmed and dissapointed.

...I bought one for £30 off ebay. The display works but flickers.

Sorry to hear about the trouble's G. If you are truly as disappointed with the new MacBook Pro as you say...maybe returning it is the best thing to do. Then give it some time...and revisit things in 6, 9, or 12 months.

But if you're willing to stick with things...3rd party manufacturers are usually better (and faster) at coming up with solutions to problems like you're experiencing. There's a very good website called monoprice.com...that's usually very good with adapters & solutions for these sort of issues. Maybe they have something that will help. Also the online store (OWC)...macsales.com...is a very good Apple/Mac dedicated online store...who are also very good. But for adapters...monoprice is usually better.

Hope this helps. Please let us know what you decided to do...and if you found a solution.:)

- Nick

p.s. Welcome to Mac-Forums.:)

OP
G

GCH

Reaction score
Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to reply in such depth.

In desperation I bought the LG 4K monitor for about 40% cheaper than the Apple store via eBay. Have to say it works fine (ish) great picture and a purpose built charger for the mac. It did however get into some weird feedback loop (video wise) when I powered down my audio interfaces and the only way to stop it was to shut down the mac. Hoping that's just a one off though.

I've calmed down a bit mainly because I could actually get on with some work. Now I'm stuck with a perfectly good DVI cinema display, and still feel cheated on the customer service front, something that I never thought I would with Apple having been a loyal customer for 20 years.

Great forum and at least I can write on this one

Thanks once again

G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.