MBP: SUPER HOT 200F + (Opinions?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have a C2D silver key 15in MBP, i had an issue about a month ago that needed the logic board replaced. I dropped the computer off at the Apple store and a week later got it back. I haven't used the computer much since because i also got a 27in iMac around the same time.

I started using the MBP more and ive notice that the computer is pretty warm, and gets very hot when I'm doing anything with video.

CPU temp while typing this is = 120F
CPU temp while video chat on skype = 180-212F
GPU diode while video chat on skype = 165F

The fan speeds go up and down accordingly, so i know they are working.
Ive even downloaded smcFanControl, which helps for idle temps.

It's never cut off on me due to heat, but still its ab-normal. It wasn't like this before the logic board got replaced. So I'm thinking either something else is messed up, or something with the logic board replacement isn't right.

Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations before i take it back to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
skype burns it all up (runs really hot) in video chat.
I use a MB, and I have noticed that skype video chats go upto 96deg Celsius (204.8).
125F while typing this!
I use smc fan control keeping the fans just slightly higher than default, but even then, these temps still happen.
So, yes, this is normal :)

You will find many threads on these temps... many that I have added my 2 cents worth.

Environment has a lot to do with it....
-temp of location
-where you use your laptop and how much airflow you allow

You can invest in one of many stands which will decrease the running temps, but as I said above, there is nothing to concern yourself about, but just to keep your I on it, and if you are using skype video often, perhaps use fan control software and set it a little higher than default when you see it spiking around or above the 212F.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.