MBP SD card reader not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello all

The card reader used to work (Mid 2012 MBP 13", spec as in signature), now it doesn't.
I'm not sure if this happened when I moved up to El Capitan (10.11.6)? I tend to use the card reader in bursts, ie. use it a lot, then not for a long time, then a lot again, depending on which projects I'm working on, ... so I can't be sure if it has ever worked with El Capitan?

I've tried blasting it with air, but no joy. The SD card(s) work in other machines, cameras etc.

Any ideas, or similar experience?
Fortunately, I took out AppleCare, so my MBP is still under warranty - but I thought I'd ask here, before taking it into Apple.

Thanks, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi CB - assume that you rebooted and tried other SD cards in the dysfunctional slot w/o success - of course, you could upgrade to Sierra to see if function of the slot returns? I have two Apple laptops of similar vintage, the SD slots still work fine on both. As stated, you're still under AppleCare, so let them do some diagnostics - hope that you have an Apple store nearby (although just had my battery replaced in my 2013 MBPro via mail and returned to me in a few days).

I also own an old PixelFlash USB 3.0 adapter (shown below) w/ slots for standard SD & micro-SD cards - just an alternative suggestion. Dave :)
images.jpeg

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Dave.

Yes, rebooted, PRAM and SMC. Currently reading Apple troubleshooting pages and may run a hardware check, too.
Thanks for the Sierra suggestion, but I'll keep that as a last resort. It always takes me an age to settle into the new OS's and I'm just getting comfortable with El Capitan!
I'm in London (UK), so I'm not too badly off for Apple stores - but, as I said, I'll try a few things first to see if it kicks back in.

Thanks again, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I ran the hardware check and it came up with a hard drive error: 4HDD/11/4000000:SATA(0,0)

Would this affect the card reader?

Unfortunately, the SSD is an upgrade I fitted myself (Crucial M550) so the warranty will not cover it (unless, perhaps, it is the connector/cable etc?)
That said, I'm not experiencing problems with the SSD. I get the occasional beachball on certain internet sites during heavy usage, but I just took that as normal behaviour?

Ongoing. Best wishes. CB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had an intermittent similar problem on my orginal (2011) MBP and found that it was dependent on how I slotted in the SD card (which was probably indicative of a failure). Try stopping it before fully loaded; slide in gently; push in firmly; wiggle it. But since you still have AppleCare, I'd book a genius bar appointment and get them to have a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi again CB - cannot help you w/ that drive code, but generate a 'System Report', then check storage to see if S.M.A.R.T is listed as an entry, and if so what is the status of your SSD (see pic below from my MBPro) - the technology is described below. How a potentially failing SSD would impact on your SD slot - don't know, so not of much help. You could either take the laptop in for a diagnostics evaluation, but could be a costly repair for a function that might not be that important to you? Or, purchase one of many inexpensive USB adapters that can read SD cards, like the one shown in my previous post. Dave :)

(Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs) and solid-state drives (SSDs) that detects and reports on various indicators of drive reliability, with the intent of enabling the anticipation of hardware failures.(Source)
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.13.12 AM.png

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Sue. Yes, I've tried inserting the card(s) in some very inventive ways, but to no avail. I've only got two cards, but they work well in other SD slots, so I'm coming to the conclusion that it is this machine.

Thanks again, Dave. Yes, have a very similar entry to your own in System Report, including S.M.A.R.T. verified. You're quite right, I could get a card reader and go through the USB - and this would be my normal course of action, but because I still have some warranty left, I'll probably end up taking it in. I've always bought extended AppleCare for my stuff and I've never used it before - now it looks like I may get some payback!
That said, the fact that I'm getting a hardware fault code may be the thing they can use against me!
Going to do a bit more research on that one and then make my move.
I'll update as it happens.

Thanks again to you both for your replies. Much appreciated. Best wishes, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: During a phone call to Apple support, it was suggested that the error message may be due to having swapped out the original HDD (replaced with SSD) - I swapped it out on the day I bought it (over 2 years ago) but I don't think I've ever run the hardware test before this, so not sure?

Have booked in a 'Genius' appointment on Tuesday (24/01/17) and will report back, with any conclusions.

Cheers, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Conclusions.

Nothing to do with OSX upgrade.
Had it plugged into the genius bar and deep diagnostics revealed nothing but a healthy machine.
Threw up a memory error message, because the original memory has been swapped out, and the genius maintained that that was probably the same thing with the (previous) HDD error message. He said the most likey culprit was my SD cards, as the formatting on them can become corrupted, with the card still working. A common problem, apparently. The SD reader passed all its tests.

As I left, he told me that mine was one of the fastest MBP's he's seen. I left the shop feeling good - then wondered if they say that to everybody as a goodbye uplift?
Still, great service from Apple by a well qualified technician, who took the time to explain it all.

Best wishes, CB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.