MBP screen freezes

Reaction score
I will get a scattering of colored pixel all over the screen and then it will eventually freeze and I have to do a hard reset. Not sure if this is an issue with the graphics processor or what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Your Mac model and OS X version being used would sure help!! ;)

Amount of RAM installed?

Graphic card being used may help as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry yes that would help.
MacBook Pro 17"
OS X Yosemity 10.10.1
Intlel Core i7 with 8GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD 288 mb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sorry, but I don't have an answer or solution for you but maybe a tech guru who's familiar with that Mac will hopefully chime in.

All I can suggest is trying a cold boot after a shutdown and boot up using Safe Boot Mode and see if things improve. To do so, push and hold the shift key when you heard the startup chime, login and try using your Mac. Some things that need extra extensions won't work, but the normal OS X stuff will.

If the problem disappears, the problem will be caused by some third party software.

Activity Monitor (Utilities) may give some indication of the cause if you keep an eye on it when the problem happens, otherwise, it no doubt some hardware problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry yes that would help.
MacBook Pro 17"
OS X Yosemity 10.10.1
Intlel Core i7 with 8GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD 288 mb

You've got two graphic processors in that machine. I believe one is a nVidia, the other you mentioned is the Intel HD 3000 which is integrated. Anyway, the symptom you described sounds very much like the graphics processor is acting up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.