MBP Fan Problems

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my first gen unibody 15 inch MBP. When I run a processor intensive application, such as photoshop, the processor starts to work hard. The fan winds up. All as expected and it all shows up on the activity monitor.

But when I quit all applications the CPU continues to work hard. The CPU bar graph under the activity monitor is hitting the top, and stays there forever. And then the fan keeps going at high speed because the CPU is getting hot. However the list of running programs under the activity monitor does not reveal any programs using any significant CPU power.

As there are no programs to shut down, the only way to cure it is to restart, which I have to do every time I use my MBP.

Does anyone know what this problem could be? I still have one years warranty left, so I may just use it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would suggest you take it on in to Apple and have them look at it. It may be a defective or intermittent thermal sensor which controls the fans on the logic board that might need replacement. What they might do at the genius bar is change out the entire logic board. An expensive repair. Don't let it go any longer, take it on in since it's still under warranty.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.