MBP 2016? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As some of the more notorious posters may know, I recently purchased a MBP 15" and I am really liking it. It is smooth, fast and beautiful to look at.
I am having a few problems though, firstly my safari will randomly just stop working and it will get caught at a loading screen around 20-50% and I will have to quit and reopen safari. Secondly, my touchpad will randomly just stop working? I am unsure if it is a problem with the machine considering that I did buy it open box from best buy..

Any who, I guess this will be a two part post. Maybe someone can solve my Mac issues, what I'd really like to talk about is the 2016 Macbook pro that is rumored to drop Q4. From everything that I have been reading, it says to wait to buy because the new models will be coming out very very soon according to averages and "rumors." So, considering I have 15 days to return my machine, what are your opinions on the matter? Should I return my MBP and wait for the 2016 models? As of now I do not necessarily need a laptop even though it makes school convenient. My classes all supply labs and computers that I can work on in the mean time.

Thanks for the opinions!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If what you say in the second paragraph above is true, then return the 2015 MBP you purchased and wait for the 2016 models to appear. It may be another month or two before that happens, however. If you can wait, you will then be able to purchase the latest and greatest. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am unsure if it is a problem with the machine considering that I did buy it open box from best buy..

This is really a personal decision. What it really comes down to is "buyer's remorse" and/or fear that the next model release will be better.

No one can predict the future. The best advice is...if you can wait...wait. If you can't...then stick with what you have.

And if what you have is having issues...use that Applecare to get it fixed (go to an Apple Store...NOT Best Buy)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you want to wait - take the 2015 back. If you do not want to wait - take the 2015 to the Apple Store/Genius Bar as it is under apple care. Either way it is not behaving correctly.

Keep in mind no one has a crystal ball to tell them what Apple will do.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Considering the price you paid for it, I'd take it to Apple for warranty repair/replacement. You'll end up with a properly working computer at a considerable saving that is the latest and greatest as we speak. If you return it and wait, your replacement will be at the normal retail price, unless, of course, you want to play the waiting game all over again as described in your earlier thread.

Computers are a commodity where you pitch in at a price point and spec level, and watch your new toy go out of date. How quickly it goes out of date depends somewhat on the name on the lid. If that name is Apple, time slows but doesn't stop.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had to take my 2015 13" MBP back for replacement after two failed attempts to fix non functional keyboard and track pad issues. The Apple Genius Bar was very good about it which leads me to wonder if this is a known issue. To cover myself I took out extended Apple Care bearing in mind that it is transferable should I need to replace again but so far no issues. It may have simply been one batch of that model but who knows.
So, yes I would take it back no matter what you decide about the 2016 model you deserve to get what you paid for. At least you could sell a working 2015 model for a reasonable price should you decide to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hello everyone,
I am having a few problems though, firstly my safari will randomly just stop working and it will get caught at a loading screen around 20-50% and I will have to quit and reopen safari.

Try another browser. I use Firefox which I downloaded after some problem, what I can't remember, with Safari.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.