MBP 2011 - Very strange continuous beep (not RAM) coming from SSD & complete freeze

Reaction score
I purchased a re-conditioned late 2011 MBP about 2 years ago & for the first year or so had no problems with it. Then I suddenly had a major malfunction which I believe turned out to be a common dodgy GPU on these models. The issue spread to my hard drive & ultimately I needed a new GPU & hard drive to get me back on the road.

It was fine for a while but I then started to get a really strange beeping sound, followed by the Mac freezing completely & requiring a full restart. This happens every time I use it, sometimes a few minutes after starting work, sometimes it will give me 20 or 30 mins & then do it. It's worth noting that everything is running fine up until the point it happens, no lags or glitches. When it happens, I have to shut down completely and, apart from one time where everything was wiped, normally everything works again for a short while.

Initially I thought it was dodgy RAM because of the beeping. I got new RAM and sure enough the same thing is happening. I started to investigate further online & realised that the RAM warning beeps are a completely different tone to the one I am hearing. They are pretty low beeps and often in a sequence to illustrate the failure. The one I can hear is constant and a very high pitched loud tone. It beeps once a second & I am fairly sure I can hear a faint click as well.

The last time it happened - I opened the back up to try to isolate where the sound is coming from. It is coming straight from the hard drive. I can't seem to find anything online which matches the issue & im completely confused!! Can anyone help?

I have tried the usual stuff like:

- taking off the back and fully cleaning,
- Taking out / reseating RAMS
- PRAM resets etc

I have also run the MAC diagnostic tests which tells me all is well! I have tried the memtest apps as well - a short run of this says that everything is fine but I can't get the MAC to stay on for long enough for a longer test.

Obviously I would be better off taking it in for repair but it's Xmas & New Year so won't get a chance for a good while yet! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Merry Christmas!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

If you think the beeping is coming from the SSD, boot your MacBook Pro from an external source - external hard drive or even a bootable DVD. Before doing that, remove the SATA cable from the internal hard drive connector. If the beeping stops, then you've isolated the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.