MBP 15" no power, no charge. new parts. HELP!!

Reaction score
I have a MBP A1150 (2.0Ghz) that i've been working on repairing for a while and i'm stumped.
Originally, it had a intermittent shuttdown problem whenever it was moved or sometimes without any movement. Instant restart. So, i replaced the Magsafe board, cleaned out the fans, replaced the keyboard (had some dead keys) and reseated the logic board with new paste. plugged it all back in and now there's no power at all. no light on the adapter head. no heat. no fans. no nothing. help please? ;__;

Reaction score
Are you sure you did all the necessary soldering? Honestly there are so many things that could go wrong it's tough to even guess...

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you sure you did all the necessary soldering? Honestly there are so many things that could go wrong it's tough to even guess...
hmm... i'm not really sure what i'd have to be soldering...
i didn't UNsolder anything. The magsafe board was a separate part and the logic board was removed, cleaned, re-pasted and re-seated. no broken wires either. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I think you made one mistake to start with in trying to fix multiple problems at once. You could have made any number of mistakes along the way that would lead to a dead mac...

Here is what I can think of.

Magsafe board isn't hooked up right.

Magsafe board isn't the correct one. In some white mac books I know there were different magsafe boards that could be used in similar books but would only work in 1 particular model, are you sure the one you have is the right one?

Magsafe board you think is good is actually bad, possible you got a bad part.

You could have failed to reconnect any number of tiny connections or ribbon cables when you opened the notebook.

Those are just the most likely problems. It usually works best to replace 1 part at a time when you are trying to fix a computer, by doing all that you did at once you've made it a very difficult job to track down what went wrong.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think you made one mistake to start with in trying to fix multiple problems at once. You could have made any number of mistakes along the way that would lead to a dead mac...

Here is what I can think of.

Magsafe board isn't hooked up right.

Magsafe board isn't the correct one. In some white mac books I know there were different magsafe boards that could be used in similar books but would only work in 1 particular model, are you sure the one you have is the right one?

Magsafe board you think is good is actually bad, possible you got a bad part.

You could have failed to reconnect any number of tiny connections or ribbon cables when you opened the notebook.

Those are just the most likely problems. It usually works best to replace 1 part at a time when you are trying to fix a computer, by doing all that you did at once you've made it a very difficult job to track down what went wrong.

The Magsafe board is the right part. 820-1994-A
Here's the process: MBP starts restarting constantly. I reinstalled Leopard. Didn't work. I took out the logic board. Cleaned and reseated with new artic silver thermal paste. No luck. Magsafe board looks charred in the magnet seat. I replaced with the new part. No dice. Help please?

Reaction score
Are you pretty sure the AC adapter is still working? If so, maybe the RAM needs to be reseated? Grasping at straws here...

Even on some pretty dead macbooks I've had the light on the power adapter light up.

Did you replace just the keyboard or the whole top? Maybe the power switch got disconnected or has failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.