Mbp 15 amatuer photographer

OP
G
Reaction score
I've always been a desktop person, this will be my first laptop. A lot of you guys may have other machines also. Like I said earlier I'm down to tablets right now as my imac crapped out so that's playing a role in my decision. Don't know how much I will get into video, but it will be just a family thing, nothing professional, but I want to produce quality. No definitely want to 15 inch for the screen size. And I know the lower end will suit me fine for my purposes but when the higher end model will be only $200 more?

Unless I can deal with a 256gb ssd. The pictures would be stored on a network drive anyway, but I'd like to take advantage of that fast read and write of the ssd

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wife will not like me spending $2300 on a laptop. She thinks there's no difference between this and a $500 laptop from sams club.

I'm getting kind of confused with the whole point of this thread after this detail was mentioned!

You said that you wanted the 15" MacBook Pro with starts at $1999. Plus the 512gig storage upgrade (+$300). This is a total of $2299. And the higher end model is $2499. Of course the employee discount needs to be factored in.

And earlier in the beginning of the thread we were told that the budget for the computer can handle the full $2499.

But. If the wife's opinion is important in this purchase decision. All the effort put into this thread could be a waste!:(

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm getting kind of confused with the whole point of this thread after this detail was mentioned!

You said that you wanted the 15" MacBook Pro with starts at $1999. Plus the 512gig storage upgrade (+$300). This is a total of $2299. And the higher end model is $2499. Of course the employee discount needs to be factored in.

And earlier in the beginning of the thread we were told that the budget for the computer can handle the full $2499.

But. If the wife's opinion is important in this purchase decision. All the effort put into this thread could be a waste!:(

- Nick

Ohh I'm definitely gonna get this laptop. I'll deal with the fallout later. Might have to buy a handbag or shoes for the wife. Maybe both!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ohh I'm definitely gonna get this laptop. I'll deal with the fallout later. Might have to buy a handbag or shoes for the wife. Maybe both!

LOL, that's a lot cheaper than paying for a divorce lawyer... hey, just ribbing you. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Ok…I got ya! That put's things in better perspective!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I guess my next question is how much of a difference in performance would the dedicated graphics card be? Don't know the ins and outs of hardware like most here. Won't really play games on it.

Hey Ganz, welcome to the forum.
There are a lot of answers for your questions, but really need to know more about what software you will want to use before a accurate answer can be given.

See Photoshop has been using GPU rendering for a long while, however just past few months with the release of Lightroom 6/CC, it also now uses the built in GPU. While the debate is still strong on how much better performing if any Lightroom is now since it uses your computer GPU, the fact is it isn't any slower. Most people that currently notice the boost are those using 5k displays. However keep in mind performance boost will likely come with new updates. That said, I still have no idea what software you will want to use, so I will not dig any deeper into this.

Also you may want to use iMovie or Final Cut Pro, both will use all of you systems resources to speed up and FCP will respond and encode faster using a dedicated GPU, however it still performs amazing well compared to other movie software, GPU or not. On my system for example I can encode a average 10min video clip in just under 2mins, a heavily edited 10min clip using green screen, multiple angles, external audio and transitions with adjustments in about 6min. So you can see FCP just works great.

In the end, for the money you will want the better GPU. Intels integrated crap is just that, crap.. I just honestly can not see how they have never been able to make a reasonable video card since i can remember. Even their on-board GPU options from the 90s was crap. Even my system while very good over all, its the GPU that will end up causing me to get a new MBP next summer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.