MBA suddenly running hot with Safari

Reaction score
A couple of days ago, my mid-2012 MBA started running very hot whenever I'm using Safari (which is my most used application).

As soon as I launch Safari, the machine will gradually heat up at the top left quadrant (the section between 9 and 12 o'clock), until the fan speed increases, eventually to maximum howl!

This does not occur using Chrome, or any other application that I can note.

Yesterday I tried using the Disk Utility to verify/repair volumes and permissions, but this had no affect on the problem.

Any suggestions? My system specs are as follows:

Mid 2012 MBA 13"
2GHz Core i7
8GB/256GB

OSX 10.9.5
Safari 7.1.5

Extensions running with Safari are AdBlock and ClickToPlugin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmmm... best suggestions at the moment are to make sure your plug-ins are up to date. Also make sure Java and Flash are up-to-date, if they are installed.

And just because adware is such a problem right now, and this involves Safari, download AdWare Medic and run that. See my signature.

EDIT: also run Onyx' full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Perhaps Safari's cache is doing something weird.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank You. After letting Onyx do it's thing (whatever that is), the problem seems resolved.

I appreciate the help, and will update if the issue returns.

Reaction score
yea i admit its been running a little warmer myself but it is mostly due to adblock removing youtube ads and other popups

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.