Maybe 4th Motherboard is the charm...

R

RobDreugan

So, as I has posted in the G5 problems thread, apple was going to come out and get me a new board and set of processors for the Dual G5, in order to put the system haults I was having to a stop.

Motherboard 1 - It came with the system.
Motherboard 2 - They bring out a motherboard dead on install.
Motherboard 3 - They bring out a single processor motherboard.
Motherboard 4 - Friday...maybe I'll get a powerbook board, or a dead 386 sx board. That'd be sweet.

I still love my G5, just hate easily avoidable accidents and bad luck :)

OP
W

WilliS

:(

wow that must suck, good luck, i hope everything works out ok... my patients would be thinning if i were in that situation

OP
R

RobDreugan

Well everything seems to be working correctly now. So I'm just crossing my fingers. The next if this doesn't work is a brand new G5. Fun stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Glad to hear. I see that Apple does make sure things work. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
My first G5 died part way through installing the System DVD. At first, i thought it was sleeping... but Mac's never sleep when installing. Was really Odd. On re-powering i heard a quite 'Pop sound' and it died again, this time for good.

I demanded a replacement from my dealer only because the last two digits on the serial number was 13. Cursed! :D Now i have two sets of manuals and a spare system dvd. This one been on 24-7, not had a problem with it at all. Which is great!

Ah... so quite! :)

OP
R

RobDreugan

Ever since the last replacement board, everything has been working fine.

OP
M

macdaddie0

Congrats!
Do you recommend a Dual G5 now?
I'm looking for one and hearing all these problems scare me a bit.
Maybe wait for a revision of Dual G5?
Any thoughts on current G5s?

OP
R

RobDreugan

My G5 is running how it should now. There was a motherboard revision, so i dunno how that affected things, but I'm pretty confident that any problems were fixed once I got that new board.

I'd highly recommend the dual G5 regardless of the problems I had. Still a great system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hehe... mines been up and running for the pass few months without a hitch! I feel it's 100% safe for anyone to invest in a G5 now.

Thanks Apple for sorting it's ****, out!
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Apple's quality control rocks. [/sarcasm]

look.at.me!

OP
R

RobDreugan

Well like any brand new item, esp the New Liquid cooled 2.5 g5, there's going to be problems. I needed a badass system asap and I accepted that there would be some problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Hows your system workinig out for you now Rob?

OP
R

RobDreugan

Man, its working perfectly which I'm really happy about. I knew from day one after going through the diagnosis process, that it was the motherboard. I'm just glad it finally worked when they replaced the board. Undoubtedly it was just something on the board that was bad, and kept locking the system.

But, now that I see how a G5 should run, it's a beautiful thing. Problems and all I'd definitely recommend this system if you need a serious one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That rocks! So glad it's sorted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
RobDreugan said:
Man, its working perfectly which I'm really happy about. I knew from day one after going through the diagnosis process, that it was the motherboard. I'm just glad it finally worked when they replaced the board. Undoubtedly it was just something on the board that was bad, and kept locking the system.

But, now that I see how a G5 should run, it's a beautiful thing. Problems and all I'd definitely recommend this system if you need a serious one.

Glad to hear they finally sorted you out

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I feel your pain... I've had 3 hard drive failures in a month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.