Maximize Me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd say give it time. Most windows switchers I know really disliked this behaviour at first ("it adds clutter", "I have to resize manually all the time") and then get used to it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With me is was not dislike, but more just getting used to a different way to do things and now I much prefer many windows Vs one Full Screen. One thing that has helped a lot is having more and more screen real estate to work with. Back in the days of the 12" or less monitor it was more of an issue for some things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I hate having things maximized now. Even at work where I use Windows, nothing is maximized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Maximize web browser

If you're a Windows user and can't bear to leave behind the (inefficient) maximize browser button, have a look at the first link on this page:

Maximize

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input, guys. I may eventually get used to Aqua's quirky behavior, but now that I have my Linux box up and running, I'm not using my MacBook a whole lot.<br><br>

All of the Safari suggestions are for not, though as I can't stand that browser.<br><br>

We'll see if I get used to it first or if I decide to put KDE on it.<br><br>

Has anyone done that before by the way? Do the native apps work well and look decent under KDE?

Reaction score
As a LONG-TIME Windows user, I have always HATED maximize. Especially with a large monitor, it's a huge waste of space and a tunnel-visioned way of working on a computer. In the windows world, my preference for spatial computing is probably shared by 2-3 percent of the population (outside of IM/chat window use), as everyone seems to have maximized Word windows showing more white space on the sides than working space in the document itself.

That said, there's a real place for maximized apps. If you use Excel, photo/video editing software, or of course, games and movies (ok, that's full-screen, but it's the same idea), you often want to see as much as you possibly can. The thing is even Apple recognizes this (seemingly grudgingly), and some programs like iMovie/FCP, Aperture, etc. default to a maximized mode. Windows users and recent switchers are upset with the Apple way because they're not really given a choice/control in the matter; if they want to maximize a regular Apple app, they sometimes have to go through some seemingly complex dance of dragging the window to the top-right, moving the mouse across the field to target a tiny resize handle, and dragging it to the bottom left, and even then a lot of times it's not truly "maximized," whereas before they just had to hit a button. Even though I never maximize anything, I can sympathize with that.

It's not a matter of wanting OS X to be a clone of Windows, it's about making it easy to do work in a way that is useful and/or accustomed to. The good news is that I bet most people, after using a Mac for a while, will get used to (and I bet even prefer) operating spatially between multiple windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Let's not try and convince each other of what the "right" UI style is. Each person prefers different things. While Windows API and KDE have a button that maximises the window, OS X has the zoom button, the function of which is entirely up to the developer of the program. Firefox, for example, uses the zoom button as a maximise button, whereas iTunes makes it toggle between full view and controller view. I seem to recall a freeware app called "Mega Zoom" that let the user "full screen" any (Cocoa) window they felt like doing so with, and it provided a simple keyboard shortcut for the action too. I'd advise those interested in having a quick fix for maximising for all windows to look up that project if it's still around.

Reaction score
hmmm

As a potential switcher I find this debate interesting. I'm actually not sure which is better as I've only used windows. I don't however understand why so many are so against having options. In windows if you want to have your window NOT take up the entire screen you just need to resize it and there it goes. (granted it doesn't allow resizing to the optimum fit like OSX)

Anyway, I think its important to realize that for people on laptops, especially 13inch laptops (which if anyone hasn't noticed are being pushed quite a lot by apple;D ) it is actually kind of not as useful to have many windows open at the same time because you still don't have enough space to work with things. It would be helpful in this situation to have a maximize option. And honestly considering how amazing OSX is supposed to be I'm sure if Apple wanted to they could add a fourth little button that maximized the windows or put an option in preferences to change what the green button does. That way if you have your 30inch screen you can have your multiple windows up too!

To be fair I can't really judge until i've tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
I support flexibility. Sometimes, I want an application in full screen so I can focus on it. Other times, I want multiple windows in view so I can jump back and forth quickly, or drag-n-drop as needed. I think both Windows and Mac OSX offer this flexibility, but the user needs to know how to manipulate the applications to get the view they want.

And to the OP: Command-Tab does switch to minimized applications, just like in windows with Alt-Tab.

OP
K
Reaction score
I support flexibility. Sometimes, I want an application in full screen so I can focus on it. Other times, I want multiple windows in view so I can jump back and forth quickly, or drag-n-drop as needed. I think both Windows and Mac OSX offer this flexibility, but the user needs to know how to manipulate the applications to get the view they want.

And to the OP: Command-Tab does switch to minimized applications, just like in windows with Alt-Tab.

You are correct, but Cmd-~ does not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.