Max RAM for macbook 3,1 in one slot? Is this possible?

Reaction score
Hi all,

This may be a newbie question but I can't seem to find a crystal clear answer anywhere.

I have an Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.2GHz 13.3" (White - Santa Rosa) Late 2007 - MB062LL/B - 3,1 - A1181 - 2200, running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Unfortunately it has developed one faulty RAM slot. The faulty slot is the one farthest from the edge of the machine.

I know the max recommended RAM is 4GB (2X2GB 677MHz DDR2 SDRAM), although I have read in places that 6GB could be fitted (1X2GB + 1X4GB)??

Is it possible to fit 1X4GB in the one working slot on the Santa Rosa based motherboard, or am I now limited to just 2GB?

Many thanks for any replies

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is it possible to fit 1X4GB in the one working slot on the Santa Rosa based motherboard, or am I now limited to just 2GB?

You can find the true specs here:
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 13" (White-SR) Specs (Late 2007, MB062LL/B, MacBook3,1, A1181, 2200): EveryMac.com

Stock:
1 GB of RAM is installed as two 512 MB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module.

I'd be curious as to how the Ram slot got damaged to the point of not working. Are you sure it's the slot that's gone kaput and not the ram module???

Anyway, a single 4GB module should work as the RAM does not have to be installed in pairs in that Mac model. To be sure you could check with OWC at macsales.com. Some seem to suggest that crucial.com should know as well.

If you have only a 2 GB module working in the one slot now, a 4 GB replacement should work just as well.
Memory Upgrades for 2007-2009 Apple MacBook - Up to 6GB
Maybe you could even use their Memory Rebate Center and save a few $'s if they even allow 2GB modules, which it looks like they actually do at $2.00/2GB module.!!! Surprising but Nice. ;-)

PS: Welcome to mac-forums and let us know how it works out.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know the max recommended RAM is 4GB (2X2GB 677MHz DDR2 SDRAM), although I have read in places that 6GB could be fitted (1X2GB + 1X4GB)??

You are correct...the max RAM for this computer "Officially" is/was 4gig (2 x 2gig)...but it was discovered that "unofficially" it could address 6gig of Ram (2gig + 4gig). Many folks didn't do it since the 4gig stick of RAM was extra expensive...but in your case it is totally understandable to want to do it if one of the RAM slots is faulty.

Just curious...do you have any idea why that RAM slot is faulty? If not...have you looked at the slot itself & pins in the slot VERY carefully. Maybe there's some sort of foreign material in there...or maybe one of the pins is bent.

I have not heard of anyone trying this...but I agree with member pm-r...I think it has a good chance of working.:) But as a safety net...if you haven't purchased the RAM yet...purchase it from somewhere that allows you to return it...just in case things don't work.

If you decide to give it a try...PLEASE post how things go. I'm sure there are others out there that would be interested as well.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
Old man skater
Reaction score
Hi, and many thanks for the welcome and the replies pm-r and pigoo3.

I'll go ahead and order a 4GB module from crucial and try it out. It sounds like it should work. I just wanted to get a second opinion.

The RAM slot got damaged when I was upgrading the RAM from 2X1GB modules to 2X2GB modules. The slot that was damaged had a cable in the way once the old module was removed, (the cable was from a replacement keyboard/top panel due to cracking from the magnetic lid closing issue they had with these machines. It was replaced by Apple free of charge).

When I took the old RAM out the cable got caught in the RAM slot (something I discovered after taking the machine apart to see why the new RAM module wasn't seating properly). Due to me trying to push the new module in the pins in the slot had been forced open by the obstructing cable (the plastic housing has literally deformed a little on the slot). This means that some of the pins are not contacting with the RAM module and also possibly bent as suggested by pigoo3.

A long explanation I know but I didn't know how else to word it :)

If either of you have any idea how to repair this I'm all ears.

I'll let you know how the new module fitting works out.

Many thanks again :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A long explanation I know but I didn't know how else to word it :)

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do;) Thanks for explaining.:)

If either of you have any idea how to repair this I'm all ears.

If possible & reasonable...I always like to give the repair route a try.:)

I think because this MacBook on the older side...parts are a bit less expensive than I would have expected. I went over to Powerbookmedic.com...and from what I'm seeing...you can get a used replacement logic board for your Santa Rosa MacBook for just $22.45 (plus shipping).

Sounds like a heck of a decent repair solution to me!:)

MacBook 2.2 GHZ Core 2 Duo Logic Board (13.3" Black or White) - 661-4577 661-4578

I'll let you know how the new module fitting works out.

Excellent!:)

- Nick

OP
Old man skater
Reaction score
If possible & reasonable...I always like to give the repair route a try.:)

I think because this MacBook on the older side...parts are a bit less expensive than I would have expected. I went over to Powerbookmedic.com...and from what I'm seeing...you can get a used replacement logic board for your Santa Rosa MacBook for just $22.45 (plus shipping).

Sounds like a heck of a decent repair solution to me!:)

Sounds like a very good option. Cheers for that :)

Is it a hard replacement to do? I've never replaced a logic board before. However I'm a confident and capable repairer of kit with tools.

Then I could try 6GB as I've just ordered the 4GB module.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it a hard replacement to do? I've never replaced a logic board before. However I'm a confident and capable repairer of kit with tools.

From what I've been reading sounds like you can handle it.:)

- stay organized
- have the right tools
- take your time
- magnifying glasses
- good light

Head over to ifixit.com. They have step by step procedures for just about any repair on an Apple computer (with lots of photos). Check it out...then you'll have a good idea of the complexity.

- Nick

OP
Old man skater
Reaction score
I'll definitely check it out. The RAM is going to take a while to arrive in the post so I'll update this thread when it gets here. If it works then I might as well try out the logic board too.

Many thanks for all your help.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can get a used replacement logic board for your Santa Rosa MacBook for just $22.45 (plus shipping).

Holy smokes!!! I never even thought of checking for a working logic board replacement for the same model MB as my cousins's that just up and completely died a few weeks ago. I never thought the price could be so low.

I guess it's still possible as it's still sitting on the edge of my desk. But then I'm just assuming that it was its logic board that died as its hard drive still worked which I used to recover her data from and transferred it to my old 15" MacBook Pro that I sold her.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy smokes!!! I never even thought of checking for a working logic board replacement for the same model MB as my cousins's that just up and completely died a few weeks ago. I never thought the price could be so low.

I was very surprised as well Patrick (at the price)...and equally surprised they had one in stock! I didn't check eBay to see how much they're selling for there...I do know Powerbookmedic posts parts on eBay as well as their website.:)

- Nick

OP
Old man skater
Reaction score
Hi again all,

Just had my new 4GB 677MHz DDR2 RAM arrive. Popped it in the only working slot and YAY! It works. 4GB in one slot on an old MacBook.
The other slot unfortunately is definitely not working even after trying to reshape the housing (I didn't want to push things to much as i didn't want to damage the logic board anymore than it already is).

So the next stage is to buy a new logic board as suggested earlier in this thread and then try the upgrade to 6GB DDR2 RAM.

I have another 2 questions though.... The new 4GB RAM chip I bought (from crucial) also has a SO-DIMM moniker. Any ideas what this means in terms of performance and architecture??

And finally any recommendations for a high capacity and high speed SSD for the MacBook?

Anyway thanks for the great advice. I'm a very happy chappy now :)

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had my new 4GB 677MHz DDR2 RAM arrive. Popped it in the only working slot and YAY! It works. 4GB in one slot on an old MacBook.

Congratulations! We thought this had a good chance of working...and you proved it does work!:)

Just wanted to mention one other thing before you spend more money on this computer (more RAM, SSD, logic board, etc.). Head over to eBay...and double check how much a 100% exact same working unit is selling for. With a computer this old...you might be able to pick up a 100% working unit for about the same or less than what you may be paying for parts & shipping to the UK.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to mention one other thing before you spend more money on this computer (more RAM, SSD, logic board, etc.).

+1, agree!!

And the additional RAM increase of 4GB > 6GB may not even be noticible in actual useage.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
The new 4GB RAM chip I bought (from crucial) also has a SO-DIMM moniker. Any ideas what this means in terms of performance and architecture??
Since nobody has answered that yet:

SO-DIMM is just the correct name for the type of RAM you have bought.
It stands for "Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module, it's much smaller, almost half the size of the regular DIMM.
SO-DIMMs are usually used in laptops, DIMMs in desktops, but the Mac Mini, a desktop, also uses SO-DIMMs in at least some models.

RAM is just a general name for the various memory modules of which there are many types, RAM stands for Random Access Memory

So SO-DIMM does not define performance or architecture, those are defines by other parameters CAS like latency and such.
Memory timings - Wikipedia

Years ago there used to be memory modules that were specifically sold as being "Mac compatible", the difference between the "Mac Compatible" ones and the rest were typically tighter parameters and the general "other" RAM would not always work in a Mac, especially if they came from a 'no-name' manufacturer, but those times are long gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.