mavericks and Microsoft office

Reaction score
I upgraded to mavericks 10.9.5 and while on the road office was incompatible. in desperation I completely removed office 2011 and reinstalled the original version of mac office with no updates. That fixed it. Should I take a risk and update office 2011 now or leave it the way it is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What problems did you run into with Microsoft Mac Office 2011? I have all the latest updates for Office installed and have been using Mavericks 10.9.5 since the day it was released. No problems whatsoever.

OP
D
Reaction score
Powerpoint froze and would not run. I had a speech the next morning...up all night..If you go back in google you can see that when mavericks first came up..I was late to updating...it and mac office were having a lot of compatibility problems and freezing up...I finally was just desperate and spent hours completely removing office and putting it back on in a bare bones version...it works okay now, I am just nervous about updating and am also wondering what the benefit of updating Mac Office 2011 to the latest version is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am just nervous about updating and am also wondering what the benefit of updating Mac Office 2011 to the latest version is.

The last several updates to Mac Office 2011 have involved security. I would definitely update. If you're careful to make backups before updating anything, you can always get back to where you were before. I highly recommend using an app such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to backup your hard drive. However, like I stated before there were no problems with Mac Office on my end and I use Word and Powerpoint extensively in the work I do.

M

MacInWin

As a former road warrior, there were two ironclad rules: 1) Never update your system on the road and 2) Never buy new shoes on the road. I once violated rule 2, paid for it in great pain and vowed never to violate rule 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.