Manual SMC SmcFlasher.efi

Reaction score
Hi All! :)
My Mid 2012 Macbook Air (A1466) needs its SMC controller reset. The usual method of key combinations isn't working so I am wanting to issue the SmcFlasher.efi -reset 1 from a rEFIt command prompt.

However, I can't find the SmcFlasher.efi file anywhere. I have downloaded firmware updates for this Macbook, but cant find the file within the package.

Can you help? Or send me the file?

Thanks in advance,

Donald.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What makes you think you need to reset the SMC in the first place? What problems are you having?

OP
D
Reaction score
Macbook was flat for many weeks, as the charger failed. New charger, but no lights on the Magsafe connector. Macbook boots when you connect charger but does not charge or even recognise it has a battery.

The usual Key combination method does not reset the SMC in this scenario.

Hence I'm asking for the above mentioned file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried simply applying the most recent firmware update the normal way? What version are you on now? SMC v1.9 for your MacBook Air does specifically address the problem you are having.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1627

If you want to do it your way with rEFIt, I did find the file inside the updater from the link above. I've extracted it (Pacifist is a gem!) and will provide a download link from my Copy.com account, however, the burden is completely on you to be sure that this is the right file for your MacBook. Obviously I am not responsible for anything that goes awry here. Etc etc yadda yadda yadda.
https://copy.com/R8X6mU9jqctnDsRX

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey.
Yeah I did try applying SMC v 1.9 but it just says "This update is not suitable for your system" (or similar text)

Since I last used Refit, I have installed Yosemite, and now when I restart the Mac, it starts the refit menu, but there is no option to boot terminal (so I cant use smcflasher.efi). Options available are Boot Osx, shutdown, restart or about.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey.
Yeah I did try applying SMC v 1.9 but it just says "This update is not suitable for your system" (or similar text)

Since I last used Refit, I have installed Yosemite, and now when I restart the Mac, it starts the refit menu, but there is no option to boot terminal (so I cant use smcflasher.efi). Options available are Boot Osx, shutdown, restart or about.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks! :)

If it's giving you an error like that, then something is amiss. Let's start from scratch and verify which exact model MacBook Air you have, and which firmware version you currently are on. All this can be gotten from the Apple menu (top left of screen on menubar), then hit "About This Mac".

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, I think this is what you need....
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00EF.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.5f9
Serial Number (system): C02HVC7ADRVC
Hardware UUID: 5758DBF0-A927-5E71-9126-EB18D870F012

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Well that was definitely the correct download link. Here's a master list from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

About the only thing I can think to try is to re-apply the EFI update (see the previous list) even though you have the latest version of that also and see if that jars things into working properly again. Otherwise, you may want to call Apple. Have you applied these updates previously yourself? Have you ever tried applying these updates by any method other than simply running the installer as-provided by Apple?

Oh... one last thought. Uninstall rEFIt, then try the updates again. Now that I think about it, that could be interfering with applying the update.
rEFIt - Documentation - Removing rEFIt

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I uninstalled refit. Rebooted, and tried installing the EFI update. Same error.

I'm pretty sire I just need to reset the SMC via command line pre boot. Can someone please tell me how to boot into a command line shell?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello again,

So I have reinstalled Mavericks on my MBA. I can now boot into a shell with RefiT.

When I issue the command smcflasher -reset 1 I get the error:

Warning (at least one SMC) is not in the expected AppCode mode, but in 'U' mode. To enter AppCode mode run SMCUtil with the "-reset 1' option.

Error: invalid option 2 '1'
SMCUtil: version '1.4.0' usage
Status Error 0x8000000000000002

When I use the -reset 1 command, the above error is the result.

Advice please? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess would be it's incompatible with the SSD in the macbook air.

The SMC has nothing to do with the internal drive, be it an HDD or SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again,

So I have reinstalled Mavericks on my MBA. I can now boot into a shell with RefiT.

When I issue the command smcflasher -reset 1 I get the error:

Warning (at least one SMC) is not in the expected AppCode mode, but in 'U' mode. To enter AppCode mode run SMCUtil with the "-reset 1' option.

Error: invalid option 2 '1'
SMCUtil: version '1.4.0' usage
Status Error 0x8000000000000002

When I use the -reset 1 command, the above error is the result.

Advice please? :)

I still don't understand why you keep messing with these commands and rEFIt. If the SMC isn't flashing properly with the normal installer, then you likely have a hardware failure of some sort. Maybe you hosed it trying to flash it doing this the "hard" way. Try running the Apple Hardware Test to see what it has to say, but ultimately I think the best thing to do is make an appointment at a Genius Bar.
The Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
I know this is old but I am having the same issue I cannot run smcflasher -reset 1. I have 2012 15" mbp 9,1

Reaction score
I know this is old but I am having the same issue I cannot run smcflasher -reset 1. I have 2012 15" mbp 9,1
I had the same issue with my 2012 13" so I used a older version of SMCUtil : 1.3.4 instead of 1.3.8 - you can get it from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1731

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Thanks for the additional info. Hopefully it will help someone looking for the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.