Malware?? Unwanted System Cleaner Advertising upon Startup

Reaction score
Suddenly a K9-Optimizer popup appears every time I start up machine, offers to scan for issues. Also Chrome opens as default browser. When I drag the icon to trash, it does not trash. How do I get rid of this app and additionally stop Chrome from opening?

M

MacInWin

Get AdwareMedic and run it to clean out the crapware. Then get Adblock+ and Ghostery to prevent it from coming back.

EDIT: Once clean, open Safari/Preferences and on the General tab, make sure "Open 'safe' files..." is UNCHECKED. Then check the "Extensions" page and delete anything you don't recognize that you installed.

M

MacInWin

And since you say it starts on boot, open System Preferences, User & Groups, select your login account, then "Login items" and highlight anything you don't recognize or want started, and then click on the "-" button at the bottom of the window to eliminate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.