Make me a believer - macbook or pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G
Well, I would say based on what you want, get the Macbook. I will also say however, that you may end up liking it so much you want to go back and upgrade to the MBP and just use it as a desktop replacement. That's what happened to me :)

Me too - I've dumped the old XP machine :) I'm thinking of getting an iMac for the kids study area now and going to a total Mac house. However the wife wants the kids to use Windows as that's all they have in school (their school anyway).

OP
Q
Reaction score
looking at the floor models at best buy the white macbook was brown and disgusting, the black looked better but you can see the grease finger prints, who the heck knows how to get those off, sure it would stay cleaner but you can see the prints all over it, atleast the macbook has a gloss top. Plus 150 bucks more for paint and 40gb? riiiiiiite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
looking at the floor models at best buy the white macbook was brown and disgusting, the black looked better but you can see the grease finger prints, who the heck knows how to get those off, sure it would stay cleaner but you can see the prints all over it, atleast the macbook has a gloss top. Plus 150 bucks more for paint and 40gb? riiiiiiite
There are many discussions and methods to clean the rubbery-plactic on the white Mackbooks...try a search. I'm sure you can get it realitivley clean. I think I've read Mr. Clean's MagicEreaser works excellent on the soft plastic / wrist-rest areas. Also, you can get it replaced/replaceemnts from Apple. I guess I was fortunate because my open-box/demo unit was pristine on the wrist rests. Just the outside is marred. There are a number of automotive plastic polished that can remove and ploish the outsides (Novus is the best if I recall...).

check out bestskinsever.com for their clear skin overlay to keep the outsides and wrist-rests protected. I have on for myTreo and it's awsome. Plus it adds no bluk like the Macally notebook cover does.

OP
Q
Reaction score
ugh again I find myself at a crossroad. Being a long time PC user I find I must hunt down the best deal, after all we are a bit more froogle aren't we?

Priced a new macbook at $1449 with:
# 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# 120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Priced a new dell vostro 1400 series at $969 with:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
No Camera
Integrated High Definition Audio

With the dell i'm getting 1'' larger screen, faster processor and its Santa Rosa.

Again I know I know, its a PC and down the line just like this machine I am sure I will be running into the same B.S. slow downs and the first thing I would probably do with my new dell would be to install Adaware and a few other things.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
ugh again I find myself at a crossroad. Being a long time PC user I find I must hunt down the best deal, after all we are a bit more froogle aren't we?

Priced a new macbook at $1449 with:
# 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# 120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Priced a new dell vostro 1400 series at $969 with:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
No Camera
Integrated High Definition Audio

With the dell i'm getting 1'' larger screen, faster processor and its Santa Rosa.

Again I know I know, its a PC and down the line just like this machine I am sure I will be running into the same B.S. slow downs and the first thing I would probably do with my new dell would be to install Adaware and a few other things.

Thoughts?

Just get the Dell. It sounds as if you are really unsure about making the Mac purchase. $1500 is a lot to spend to find out that you don't like Mac. And also keep in mind that this is a Mac forum, so most people here are going to tell you that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I'd be willing to bet that there are just as many people that bought a Mac, only to find out that it wasn't for them (Just look at the eBay auctions).

To be honest - and I'm sure I will be lambasted for saying this - Mac isn't the "be all and end all" OS that it is touted as. It definitely has its share of problems. Granted, spyware and viruses aren't as prevalent on the Mac, but with Windows, you can keep those issues at bay by using anti virus software and common sense. As far as stability is concerned, they are comparable. I've had just as many programs quit on me in OSX than in Vista - which admittedly is very few in both cases (In fact, stability really shouldn't be much of an issue. I find it's one of those things where people just use it as a point without ever actually giving any thought to it. I see it thrown around here as a generic argument, almost as if they copied and pasted it from the Apple website).

Just for the record, I own a Macbook, and it is a great computer. But I also own a nice PC that is set up with Vista and XP. I use both equally. Neither is better than the other, as they both have their pros and cons. But to say that Mac will be your best solution is false. Obviously the majority of people on here are biased toward Mac. But I am trying to help from an objective standpoint. If you are about to spend 50% more on the Macbook than a comparably equipped Dell, make sure you spend some time and really like the Mac before doing so. After all, you know how to use Windows, and you know the Dell will do everything you want it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
Just flip a coin over it and go with whatever the result of that is. If a thread of over 45 posts hasn't helped you justify to yourself why you need a Mac another 45 posts probably isn't going to do it.

Reaction score
It would be cheaper just to add the 2gb of ram yourself rather than get it from the Mac Store as long as you know how to do it. It's a rather simple task. Then you can get the base model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's expensive for a macbook, look at a refurbed MBP, you can get the 2.2c2d with an 8600gt in it for about $1600.

Macbooks are nice for $1000 for the base model. I'm not a big fan of 13" laptops and integrated graphics, but then again, I do a lot of work and gaming on my two laptops and only really use my desktop as a server.

The Dell is going to be a better value hardware wise, but take a look at the refurbed like I mentioned above.

OS X is a good operating system and I like the way some of the programs operate vs. Windows, but then again you have to look at a couple of things, like what programs do you use on your current Windows setup and what are you going to use on the OS X side. If you have a ton of pay for apps and can't find a free substitute on OS X, it may not be worth it. Some companies like Adobe offer OS "switches", where you can switch your currently registered product from one OS to another up the three times (I think that's the magic number, don't quote me).

So if you're going to have to spend $3k on software ontop of your purchase, or you don't know where to get it free ((oops, sorry, I didn't just say that)), then it might not be worth the switch unless you plan on sticking with OS X forever. I know my next computers are probably going to be Apple. I purchased my MBP just to run Logic on it for recording at a studio I opened several months back and through just using it on a regular basis as well, I've come to really enjoy OS X. There's little things I like that you can't do with a base version of Windows.

That being said, I've also been running Vista on my 17" Dell Inspiron (1920x1600 res screen, 2.0 c2d, 2gb ram, 256mb nvidia 7900gts) notebook. It was my primary machine and is my gaming machine. It blows the MBP out of the water when it comes to doing anything involving games. I'm also torn on photo editing as well, since my pictures usually seem to come out better when using the Dell, plus the larger screen size and resolution help immensly.

There's good and bad about every system IMO, it's just a matter of what you feel you want to do. If you're serious about completely switching and don't want to spend a ton of money on a good computer, look at the refurb deals. If you want a Mac to toy around on until you can sincerely make up your mind and decide to spend $2000 on a serious heavy weight machine, then look at an Intel Mac Mini.

With the Mac, you'll be able to either dual boot into OS X or Windows or run OS X with an emulation software for Windows. So, it's not like you'll be stuck if you switch. It's just pointless to buy a Mac and run Windows more than 75% of the time.

Also, I honestly didn't read the rest of the thread, but if you're interested in gaming at all, any of the new Macs with a video card should be able to handle gaming, as long as you're not trying to crank it to max settings on a huge resolution...then again, you'll be running your games through Windows unless you purchase OS X version.

So, if you haven't already, assess what software you currently use, which of it is critical in your choice to using a computer, and then look for alternatives, etc...then look at the other goodies you can find for the Mac you want and then decide.

Also, if you're close to an Apple store, go play around. You won't get anything near the experience of owning one, but it's a start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It would be cheaper just to add the 2gb of ram yourself rather than get it from the Mac Store as long as you know how to do it. It's a rather simple task. Then you can get the base model.

This too.

1gb stick of ram from crucial.com is like $50. You don't need Apple ram.

200GB 7200rpm drive from newegg.com is about $200.

Buying upgradable accessories on your own accord is going to save you money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Just get the Dell. It sounds as if you are really unsure about making the Mac purchase. $1500 is a lot to spend to find out that you don't like Mac........make sure you spend some time and really like the Mac before doing so.......
Yea, it sounds like the OP has made up their mind already on the Dell....but that's why I suggested that the OP buy an open-box that he/she can return without a re-stocking fee....try it out and return it if it's not for you, or want a new or higher spec'd one or MB Pro.

I will be lambasted for saying this - Mac isn't the "be all and end all" OS that it is touted as. It definitely has its share of problems. Granted, spyware and viruses aren't as prevalent on the Mac, but with Windows, you can keep those issues at bay by using anti virus software and common sense. As far as stability is concerned, they are comparable. I've had just as many programs quit on me in OSX than in Vista - which admittedly is very few in both cases (In fact, stability really shouldn't be much of an issue. I find it's one of those things where people just use it as a point without ever actually giving any thought to it. I see it thrown around here as a generic argument, almost as if they copied and pasted it from the Apple website).
Actual, I find the Macbook allot less problematic and far more stable than my Windoes notebook...the OS is allot snappier too... but that could be becasue my Macbook is new and my Windows laptop is approaching it's 4 year of service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Actual, I find the Macbook allot less problematic and far more stable than my Windoes notebook...the OS is allot snappier too... but that could be becasue my Macbook is new and my Windows laptop is approaching it's 4 year of service.

Yeah, that probably has something to do with it.

Out of my Vista notebook and MBP, I've had the most unexpected quits out of the MBP.

Just with photoshop though. Also, neither OS has crashed. Been running the new install of Vista on the Dell since January and the MBP since April. Both are very stable. It just takes a bit more knowledge than how to turn the computer on to keep a Windows machine running smoothly without OS re-installs or Virus protection.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I haven't mad my mind up about anything yet, and not every post of the 45 mentioned were all unique and completely helpful, although they did help quite a bit. Its difficult to switch, cut me some slack. I have a $2,000 apple card coming in the mail that I was approved for and I may go with that. I was reading that that 1400 series dell that I posted specs about weighs a ton and has a battery that sticks out, i don't want a heavy laptop that is for sure.

I was merely just trying to get opinion on the dell specs, although asking in a Mac forum probably isn't the best idea.

The idea about the OB mac is pretty good, then I can return it without a restocking fee, so where exactly can I get an OB deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its difficult to switch, cut me some slack.

Why? No one is pressuring you into anything. It's your money and your decision. You came on here and asked for other peoples' thoughts, which is what you got.

I have a $2,000 apple card coming in the mail that I was approved for and I may go with that. I was reading that that 1400 series dell that I posted specs about weighs a ton and has a battery that sticks out, i don't want a heavy laptop that is for sure.

I was merely just trying to get opinion on the dell specs, although asking in a Mac forum probably isn't the best idea.

The idea about the OB mac is pretty good, then I can return it without a restocking fee, so where exactly can I get an OB deal?

The macbook and the dell weigh the same. (about 5-6 lbs.)

After reading your posts, in my opinion, you should go for the dell. You just seem way too hesitant to switch to Mac. Think of it this way - you already know what the dell is capable of, and it will save you money.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I never said anyone was pressuring me, I just said its difficult to switch being a long time PC user, although I am hesitant I have ready alot (including opinons here) and else where about how macs fair against PCs which is why I was leaning toward one. I'm still on the fence about it. Regarding the dell the comments i have read on fatwallet were all "feels like a brick" and "weighs a ton" - maybe your thinking about a different model then the one I listed specs on, it was the 1400 series. From what I felt the macbook was pretty dang light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said anyone was pressuring me, I just said its difficult to switch being a long time PC user, although I am hesitant I have ready alot (including opinons here) and else where about how macs fair against PCs which is why I was leaning toward one. I'm still on the fence about it. Regarding the dell the comments i have read on fatwallet were all "feels like a brick" and "weighs a ton" - maybe your thinking about a different model then the one I listed specs on, it was the 1400 series. From what I felt the macbook was pretty dang light.

I went to Dell's website and got the specs on the Vostro 1400, and then I went to Apple's and got the specs on the Macbook.

They are almost the same. Go look for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It may just be a perception of compact looks = compact weight. My 15" MBP looks like it should weigh no where near what my 17" dell weighs, but it's still a lot heavier than you would think. I'm not saying it's unmanagable or too heavy, just it weighs more than it looks like it should.

And after scanning the thread, this is my final answer.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...rowse&mco=3929D548&node=home/specialdeals/mac

Refurbed 15" 2.2 Santa Rosa MBP.

You can get it for pretty cheap and it will do everything you need and it can power up to a 30" external display.

I have the last gen 2.16 MBP with 2gb of RAM and it does everything I need to do flawlessly.

In fact, last week I recorded a song for an artist that was working with our studio in Logic. It ended up with 27 tracks because of edits and such. I never had it stutter even once.

I run photoshop and lightroom and illustrator on a regular basis and usually have no less that 10 programs open at once. You'll probably be forced to run parallels if you're testing on IE and don't actually want to boot into Windows, but most of the other browsers have OS X versions, including Fire Fox.

I'm shooting you anohter PM that also may help in deciding.

OP
Q
Reaction score
the refurbs aren't a bad idea but that opens up a whole other discussion on what constitutes refurbished and if i will run into problems, who knows why the person returned it etc and I am unsure of apple's process in refurbishing.

Like I said with the dell if you equip them equally you are paying around $969 for the 1400 series add a few more things such as 3gb for an extra 90 bucks and maybe a better video card you are still a few hundred less. I wish there was a place that sold dells near me so I could check out the form factor and weight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
im using my 2nd post on this forum to tell you to stop being a whimp and dive into the unknown an get the mac.. this really isnt a tough call.. you're not killing anyone... there will always be more money and more computers to play with

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.