Maintaining Icon positions

R

Rusyn

Why does Panther always move around my icons on the desktop? Is there some way I can lock them in place or organize them?

I have a a 17" iMac, and keep may icons on my desktop (I always have a million projects going on at once) and I hate searching for downloaded files... and my hardisk icon always jumps to this area near the middle of the screen instead of staying in the top right corner where I put it.

Any tips for a recent switcher?

OP
T

TylerMoney

Interesting. I don't think that should be happening..I could be wrong..it could be settings or something. Mine stay put...and by that I mean...they stay where I put them, or place them..depending on how you'd like to hear it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe this will resolve your problem. Click on he finder menu View -> Show Desktop Options. Then unselect Snap to grid.

OP
C

chris041067

Rusyn said:
Why does Panther always move around my icons on the desktop? Is there some way I can lock them in place or organize them?

Any tips for a recent switcher?

view > show view options then click the box that says keep arranged by. Then you can choose how you want icons to always be arranged.
By default, the HD should always be at the top right corner of the desktop, even if you choose arrange by name or date, it should apply to everything BUT the HD....very strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
About the HD icon being always in the same place - I think that's smart -it won't ever get momentarily lost in the crowd

OP
D

dtx3000

you're not alone, my HD icon is a bit jumpy too. 10.3.3, 15" imac. no moving around though if the only icon you have is the HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.