Mail quits unexspectedly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 12GB Ram Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB
Running 10.13.6. Mail runs for a while and after reading messages, sometimes all messages, it quits with the unexpected message.
Sometimes even after quitting Mail normally the message may pop up after a minute or two..
Is there something I need to do to Mail to stop this situation?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, a little more information is required.
My first question would be what is the message you receive? That's kinda important.
Next we need to know what device you are using?
Type, model, year? eg. 13" 2018 MacBook pro.
Lastly have you made any major changes recently or since this problem began? eg. Upgraded/updated your Operating System.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sometimes even after quitting Mail normally the message may pop up after a minute or two..

As Rod says, we need more information but it doesn't sound like Mail is actually directly Involved.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Running 10.13.6. Mail runs for a while and after reading messages, sometimes all messages, it quits with the unexpected message.
Most commonly a problem such as yours is caused by a corrupted/malicious e-mail or e-mail attachment that is causing Mail to choke. The way to deal with that is to log into your ISP's mail server using the Web-based interface most ISP's provide and to delete the problematic e-mail manually. The problematic one is usually easy to spot. It's usually either spammy or unreadable. (i.e. it's usually e-mail that you would delete anyway.) If your ISP doesn't offer a Web interface, you can:

Select the desired Inbox in the Sidebar of Mail
Do a Command + I on it or right click on it and choose Get Account Info
A popup window will appear which, in most cases, will allow you to display a list of the messages on the server.. except...
In Catalina it's a bit different:

If that doesn't work, I'd quit Mail, move Mail's "Mail Downloads" folder to the desktop, relaunch mail, and see if the problem is gone. If it is, your problem is a corrupted e-mail attachment.
To get there in recent versions of the MacOS (where the user Library is invisible),
In the Finder
Option-click the Go menu
Your ~/Library will appear in the menu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.