Mail issue with xferring message between inboxes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
Hi,

I have an iPhone SE using ios 13.5. I don't use my iCloud email address but inadvertently left it as the default on my phone. Not realising this I sent an email to a friend which was sent from the iCloud address. OK they received it but their response was sent to the iCloud address. The accounts are set up as iMap. I don't use my iPhone much as a smartphone just as a phone and for a few useful apps. It is too fiddly for my largish fingers!

Since I don't use the address it isn't set up on my iMac or MBPro (10.15.4 on both) or on my wifes iPhone & iPad. Since we basically share email the question was how to set that up without cluttering the other devices with something we don't use. So I moved the email from my iCloud inbox to my normal inbox on the iPhone.

Perfectly OK on the MacOS devices but caused all three ios devices to sit there trying to download the message. It was OK on my iPhone until it tried to fetch more messages and then it behaved as the other two devices.

Leaving it to finish downloading just used the battery and didn't solve the problem. Switching off the iPhone and rebooting after leaving it for a while didn't work either. The only way was to move the message within MacOS onto local storage and switch off the ios devices and reboot them. However, putting the message back from local storage into my normal inbox repeated the problem.

I can only assume that the transfer corrupted the message.

Has anyone else encountered this and what, if anything, can I do to make the message visible on all the devices? I have now changed the default on my iPhone!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.