Mail flags keep changing back to red

Reaction score
New MacPro, Catalina 10.15.5. Any flags I set to any color other than red turn back to red whenever I check for new messages. Is there any way to prevent this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is there any way to prevent this?

Unless you are the only Catalina user with the problem, you could send a bug report to the Catalina development people.

Have you done any Internet searching for other users with the same problem???

And I guess you could always go back to a previous OS that doesn't have that problem. :Smirk:

You might want to have a look through some of the hits here:
Mac Mail flags keep changing back to red
Mac Mail flags keep changing back to red - Google Search

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I'd been having this problem in Mojave on an iMac. When I switched to a Macbook Pro with Catalina and new version of Mail I hoped this problem would go away. But no. So I sent "feedback" to Apple, for what that's worth.

krs

Reaction score
I just tried to duplicate that on my Mini running Mojave, but I can't.
I set most of my email flags to red so I thought I hadn't seen that problem because of it.

But I just set a green flag on an existing inbox email (there was no flag set for that one), then checked for new messages - there were two that were downloaded.
The green flag stayed green - didn't change to red as for the OP.

Is there anything else that might trigger this other or in addition of downloading new messages?
Right now it looks like a unique issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you follow some of the discussions in the link sent by pm-r above you'll see that it's a very common, though obviously not universal, issue. Sometimes it seems the flags change back due to other actions, but I haven't taken the time to track down every single one. Thanks for checking this out and I'm glad that you don't have this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wonder if the if the Mail message Flags/Colors are associated with those used for the Finder, and I wonder if they could possibly be changed/modified or if they've got mucked-up somehow and need to be reset???

You might want to just have a look here and see if there's anything you might be able to do:
How to Use Tags to Organize Files and Folders in macOS
How to Use Tags to Organize Files and Folders in macOS - MacRumors

Also just wondering, when was the last time you ever did an SMC reset??? There could be something that needs resetting that might help fix your problem. Worth the try and that won't break anything..

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
I have not used tags on this new system and don't plan to--so if there is a connection it came that way. Interesting idea. I did an SMC reset with no effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Does this happen with different email providers, or with only one? Which provider(s)?

OP
S
Reaction score
I only use Earthlink as an email provider, accessed via Apple mail. Note that my wife does not have the flag problem and she also uses Earthlink accessed via Apple mail, but she is on High Sierra.

krs

Reaction score
I don't really see how this problem can have anything to do with the email provider or the System Management Controller.

Resetting the SMC restores the default settings related to low-level functions that you generally can't modify in System Preferences. The SMC controls the power button response, computer fans, battery management, sleep settings, thermal management, lighting settings and video source selection.

I occasionally have weird quirks with Apple Mail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.