Mail Client for Mac

Reaction score
I've been using the Apple Mail client for Mac since I acquired my MacBook Air about two months ago.
I actually dislike it intensely, because it is impossible to zoom so that the text size is easily readable, and even worse, it is impossible to format paragraph styles to allow for formatting and spacing between paragraphs.
The work around is to copy and paste into Word, then back to Apple Mail but that is a pain in the butt.
I'm a journalist, so I use my mail client as a primary copy creation tool, and Apple Mail just doesn't cut it.
I've looked at a number of alternative mail client reviews for the likes of PostBox, Airmail, Thunderbird and the like, but I don't come to any conclusion as to what might be better suited to my needs.
What, if anything are Mac users using as an alternative to Apple Mail, and what has been their experience?
I'd value some feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I quite like apple"s mail app, but because I have office365 I use outlook.

I'm not a heavy email user but I prefer the interface and general look of outlook.

OP
N
Reaction score
I do have Office for Mac, but without Outlook, which cost me about $100. I wasn't prepared to pay another $200 just to get Outlook for Mac.
I'm looking for an alternative, either paid for, or free, that will do what I want, but it sure isn't going to be Outlook.
Thanks for your input, though.

Reaction score
It's an email app, not a word processor.
Email was not created, designed or intended for that kind of work.
Just my humble opinion.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Give Thunderbird a try - it's free so you've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks for responses thus far, humble opinion or recommendation.
I shall download Thunderbird and give it a try.

M

MacInWin

I've been using the Apple Mail client for Mac since I acquired my MacBook Air about two months ago.
I actually dislike it intensely, because it is impossible to zoom so that the text size is easily readable, and even worse, it is impossible to format paragraph styles to allow for formatting and spacing between paragraphs.
The work around is to copy and paste into Word, then back to Apple Mail but that is a pain in the butt.
I'm a journalist, so I use my mail client as a primary copy creation tool, and Apple Mail just doesn't cut it.
I've looked at a number of alternative mail client reviews for the likes of PostBox, Airmail, Thunderbird and the like, but I don't come to any conclusion as to what might be better suited to my needs.
What, if anything are Mac users using as an alternative to Apple Mail, and what has been their experience?
I'd value some feedback.
A couple of thoughts:

1. Zooming the size is dead easy. CMD "+" will zoom in, CMD "-" will zoom out.
2. Formatting text in email is pointless. What the receiver sees is dictated by the settings on the receivers machine, not the sender's. About the only way to ensure that the recipient gets exactly what you want them to get is to send them a PDF or a similar image file, or a Word file with the formatting you want. Otherwise, the mail handler on the other end may or may not show what you put in. Don't blame Apple, it's how email works.
3. Formatting works the same in Thunderbird. It's driven by the recipient.

But if formatting on your end makes you happy, I'm still not sure Thunderbird does that, either. As cradom says, email is not a word processor, it's a communications tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
You probably won't like Thunderbird, but I love it. Being a command line junkie it has all the features that *I* want. I don't care about formatting or. I have used it since netscape 4.10 ! It is free though, so try it. Maybe there are some snap shots out there to view, that might give you a better vision/view of it.
;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.