Mail attachments problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Can anyone please help me?
Sometimes when I send an attachment on "Mail", it is received by the recipient as an embedded file in the body of the email instead of as an attachment.
People are telling me they can't use it as a normal attachment (transferring to other documents etc)
This is driving me nuts but I imagine there is a way around it.

HELP!

John Mears

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Can anyone please help me?
Sometimes when I send an attachment on "Mail", it is received by the recipient as an embedded file in the body of the email instead of as an attachment.
People are telling me they can't use it as a normal attachment (transferring to other documents etc)
This is driving me nuts but I imagine there is a way around it.

Hi John - not sure that I can help but what type(s) of attachment(s) are you sending? I just opened my Mail app (in El Capitan 11.2) - in the first image below I used the 'Attachment' icon (blue arrow) - assume that is how you add attachments? Then, I put in 3 different types of files (i.e. an image, PDF, and a RTF) - emailed to myself - the second image shows my received message w/ a right-click menu opened on the RTF - is this the behavior you are experiencing - do your colleagues not want the attachments w/i the emails? The context menu should allow the options shown.

You might want to also tell us which version Mail App and OS X you are using - did this problem start after you updated or upgraded your OS? Have you gone to the Apple (left upper menu item) and 'Force Quit' Mail, then reopened? Let us know if any of these comments help or if have further questions relative to my comments. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 4.30.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 4.33.01 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi John

Please follow Dave's advice and very helpful pictures.

I only wanted to say that there is a workaround you can use until this is properly sorted out. You can put your attachments in a Folder and send the Folder. I have never known this fail. But it's not a solution, just a temporary workaround.

Ian

C

chas_m

It's not an issue. It's that your recipients are not very educated on how to properly use their email programs. Hint. ALL embedded files are also savable as attachments.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Thanks Chas, I think I've cracked it for now.

John

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Thanks Dave, I have got around it this time (I hope!) by saving the doc in Word and emailing as a 'docx' file. It looked OK when I tested it to myself, I'll wait to hear how it was received the other end.
I also tried to download 'Attachment Tamer' as recommended but it failed to load saying it was not compatible with my OS?
I can see on this forum that it is a challenge for many people.

Regards,

John

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
M

MacInWin

Just to amplify a bit, how attachments are handled in email is definitely controllable. In Mail, when you want to send an email, you can choose to have it embedded or displayed as an icon. I think the embedded is the default, so that you can see the actual attachment. I just sent an image and when I attached it the image showed up. I then right-clicked on it and chose to show it as an icon and the image disappeared to be replaced by an icon for the jpg file. I then sent it to myself and when it arrived, the image was displayed embedded, but by right-clicking on it I can open it, save it or view it as an icon.

So, your recipients can find out how THEIR email handles attachments and save, open or change the file from embedded to icon. Mail sends them the attachments properly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Yes Jake, I have tried doing just that, trouble is, I have forgotten how 'Windows' systems operate so I can't tell my recipients what to do at their end!

John

M

MacInWin

Well, a right click should bring up a menu, even in Windows. (And I've also forgotten pretty much everything about how windows works...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In Mail, when you want to send an email, you can choose to have it embedded or displayed as an icon.

How do make that selection? I don't see where you can make the choice. Whenever I attach a .jpg it's embedded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks. That's a new one on me and completely counter intuitive, but it works !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.