mail and spam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini MI
Gmail gets thousand of spam emails. Apple mail gets none that I can see, so where are they?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You want spam? What's you real question?

OP
macdave1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini MI
Well sometimes you expect an email but don't get it. Sender says to check spam. So how to do that?
If you can't find Junk/spam folder.

Maybe I should have said Icloud mail!

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK yes, that's a better question.

Within Mac Mail, if you click on the Mailboxes link on top you'll see the sidebar which has the Junk folder as seen below.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 2.45.28 PM.png

Go to Preferences and Junk Mail and ensure that you have enabling junk mail filtering which will allow you to move things around to the right bucket.

Also check iCloud in the cloud to see if you can find your email there.

OP
macdave1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini MI
OK I have the junk folder, but it is empty. Does Apple filter or hide unsolicited emails? I never see anything in the junk folder! Nothing in icloud either.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Apple won't hide anything from you. If you got it and you have the filtering set, junk mail will automatically go to the Junk folder.

If the folder is empty, then you haven't received anything that is junk. But if you aren't also receiving any email from a sender, ensure they are using the right email address.

You might also want to send an email from your GMail account to your iCloud account to ensure that things are flowing properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You might also want to send an email from your GMail account to your iCloud account to ensure that things are flowing properly.

And maybe vice versa as well, just to check and be sure both are working well...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gmail gets thousand of spam emails. Apple mail gets none that I can see, so where are they?

If your Gmail SPAM filters are not working properly and you want to prevent them from cluttering up your mailbox you can try getting them blocked if you can access the headers of each spam email.
In the header should be some indication of " spam abuse" or something similar with an email address, and just send them a message and include the headers of the spam email and ask them to desist or to get the spam email stopped.

Certainly no guarantee, especially if the email sender's address is spoofed, but I went on such a warpath several years ago and it really paid off and some even replied with a thank you that they didn't realize their server was being used for such illicit services.

You can even sign up with spamcop.net or similar services if you want to get serious and possibly, hopefully, get the SPAM stopped almost if not completely.

- Patrick
=======

OP
macdave1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini MI
I'm happy that therer is no spam in the icloud account, I just can't belive there is none.

In post #6 ashwin said "No, Apple won't hide anything from you."
That may not be correct check out this link.

Troubleshooting Apple's Junk Mail Filter
Apple may in fact be filtering.

I'm trying to get away from all thing Google. So @icloud.com is main email address.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a difference from hiding an email and marking it as junk. All email servers will deliver an email send to your email address. Most also have some level of spam filtering so that you can deal with it as you see fit.

However, NONE of them are going to arbitrarily choose that something should not be shown to you at all. So either spam email shows up in your Inbox requiring you to specifically mark it as spam to be moved to the Junk folder and in the future. Vice versa, normal emails will get marked as spam incorrectly and end up in the Junk folder requiring you to unmark it as spam so that future emails show up in your Inbox.

OP
macdave1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini MI
I think we have a circular conversation going Ashin. I just can't believe there is no spam being sent to my icloud account.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a brand new account and something you haven't used all over the place, then yes it's entirely possible to not have any. I never use my iCloud account and have no spam. I use my gmail account everywhere and get about 300 pieces of spam a day on it that is all sitting in the spam folder.

I also have an old Outlook account that I use in a couple of places that gets about 100 pieces of spam a day.

I also have another gmail account that I share with my wife for very specific uses and we use that email when we need to respond to things related to my daughter, for example and the places where we use it don't spam us so that account has received zero spam message ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think we have a circular conversation going Ashin. I just can't believe there is no spam being sent to my icloud account.

I can name at least a half-dozen users email accounts that get absolutely no SPAM or junk email.

Your chances of not getting any in your iCloud account could easily happen if you don't use or leave your iCloud account address all over the place.

I like Ashwin hardly ever use my iCloud account and it gets no spam, but I also use an account with my ISP that I used for all kinds of things that gets virtually none, yet another subsidized account with the same ISP gets all kinds of junk spam emails. Obviously the maintenance of that server account is pretty sloppy.

My wife uses a Gmail account with her Mac Mail.app, and I can't remember the last time she got any junk spam email.

Receiving spam or not will depend on whether your specific email address has been harvested or not for spam use, and then on any spam filters you may be using. There's nothing really magical about it. If the spammers have your address, you are going to get bombarded with Spam until it gets stopped with using spam filters.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
. Obviously the maintenance of that server account is pretty sloppy.
Maybe, maybe not. Spammers don't necessarily raid the ISP. Once one of them gets your email (from some URL that required you to provide an email to "register," for example) then that email gets shared everywhere by all of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.