Magsafe 3 Cleaning

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Cleaning a Magsafe 3 connector is similar to cleaning Magsafe 1 or Magsafe 2 connectors (both the cable connector...and the Magsafe port on the computer) .:)

I would never use any moisture (sure in theory you could...if dried very very well). But you really wouldn't want any stray moisture to get inside/seep inside the connector or computer port...where it would/could take much longer to dry/evaporate.

One great way to clean electrical connections like this is with a pencil eraser (or stand alone eraser).

Of course in 2022...I wonder how many homes have pencils with erasers laying around! Lol

Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Cleaning a Magsafe 3 connector is similar to cleaning Magsafe 1 or Magsafe 2 connectors (both the cable connector...and the Magsafe port on the computer) .:)

I would never use any moisture (sure in theory you could...if dried very very well). But you really wouldn't want any stray moisture to get inside/seep inside the connector or computer port...where it would/could take much longer to dry/evaporate.

One great way to clean electrical connections like this is with a pencil eraser (or stand alone eraser).

Of course in 2022...I wonder how many homes have pencils with erasers laying around! Lol

Nick
Thank you for your Answer Nick! I’m not sure if i slightly touched it with my still wet finger tip. Is there gonna be any problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your Answer Nick! I’m not sure if i slightly touched it with my still wet finger tip. Is there gonna be any problem?
Probably not...give it some time to dry before connecting to the power supply (maybe even use a hair blow dryer or fan on the area to be super duper sure it's dry).

It's really out of an "abundance of caution" that we suggest not using water to clean anything electrical on a computer.:)

Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Probably not...give it some time to dry before connecting to the power supply (maybe even use a hair blow dryer or fan on the area to be super duper sure it's dry).

It's really out of an "abundance of caution" that we suggest not using water to clean anything electrical on a computer.:)

Nick
Aha okay! Next question is very weird - be aware! I actually cleaned something off of my mac by “licking” my finger and just rubbing the little stain off. I’m not even sure if I touched the mag safe, I was just near it. Now i’m nervous if something’s gonna break… Would i notice it quite soon?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like 99.99% chance all is fine.:)

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But would i notice it quite soon? If something broke
Usually electricity + moisture don't mix.

If everything has already been connected...very good chance if something bad was going to happen...it would have happened already.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.