Magic Mouse (charger light flashing)

Reaction score
The charger for the batteries (Apple batts) for my Magic Mouse has a light ... it shows green when the batts are charged and orange when they are being charged. Recently the orange light has been flashing rather than remaining constant when charging is in progress. Does this indicate anything?
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

Reaction score
The charger for the batteries (Apple batts) for my Magic Mouse has a light ... it shows green when the batts are charged and orange when they are being charged. Recently the orange light has been flashing rather than remaining constant when charging is in progress. Does this indicate anything?
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

Are you using this charger?
1280313059_723305.jpg

According to the user manual (here)

Flashing Amber: May indicate any of the
following conditions:
-The batteries haven’t been properly
installed in the charger.
-An unsupported type of battery is in
the charger.
-The batteries may be faulty or damaged
and should be replaced.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Try charging different batteries together. This used to happen to me and I would switch the batteries between sets. One of those two batteries is on it's way out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. The charger that I have is like the one in the pic but it's designed for the UK 3-pin plug. The 6 batteries and the charger came from Apple and were quite expensive. However, they've done well ... must have had them for well over 5 years. Two of them are behaving OK and show green ... and somehow I've lost two others! ... but there's a duff one in the final two. Guess I'll buy another set ... wonder if they come separately or only with the charger. The latter is OK. So I'll see.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Bob

If the Apple NIMH batters are expensive, wouldn't any brand of NIMH battery work with that charger? That might be cheaper but I haven't priced that kind of rechargeable recently at big box stores.

Reaction score
Interesting Wikipedia find:

The charger is supplied with six batteries that were identified by a Czech website in 2010 to be rebranded Eneloop HR-3UTG Sanyo-manufactured rechargeable batteries (1.2V 1900mAh).

Apple claims that these batteries will offer a service life of up to ten years, and retain 80% of their capacity even after being stored for a year.[2] The battery charger was discontinued on January 15, 2016.

Apple Battery Charger - Wikipedia

Here's some on Amazon UK
Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA 2500mAh Eneloop NiMH Ready to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Panasonic eneloop AA Rechargeable Ready-To-Use Ni-MH: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
I did use non-Apple batteries and a different charger to start with. However, they very soon lost their charge and I was persuaded at an Apple Store to get the Apple versions. In truth, these did perform much better than the old ones. I have not had any trouble with them till now and that's well over 5 years, probably more like 8. After experimenting with my Apple rechargeables, I find that 3 are fine and 1 is duff. So I think that I'll limp along as I am at present with 2 standard non-rechargeable AA batteries standing by. In due course, I'll pay an expensive visit to the Apple Store and see what is available. And it will be an expensive visit because I also want to upgrade to a new MPB!
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And it will be an expensive visit because I also want to upgrade to a new MPB!

When you do buy that new MacBook Pro 16" fully loaded machine, it will come with a new Magic Mouse with built in rechargeable battery. Make sure you save your $$ or ££. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
OK ... I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
I really can't get on with a track-pad and definitely need a mouse.
On the subject of new MPBs - I know that I can look this up elsewhere but would appreciate a quick answer to another point.
Does the new MPB have a jack socket for headphones? Or will I have to go for bluetooth?
Thanks in advance.
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the new MPB have a jack socket for headphones? Or will I have to go for bluetooth?

Yes, the new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air still have a headphone jack. However, if you can get used to using wireless BT headphones, that's the way to go. Especially when you're sitting in front of your computer and you fall asleep while your wired headphones are attached. :)

I also like wired headphones not the ear buds that Apple supplies with an iPhone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks - I did read that some people were spoofed into drilling holes in their new iPhone in a vain attempt to locate the headphone socket that was reputed to lie behind the plastic. Whether this story is true or not I do not know.
M

Reaction score
Thanks - I did read that some people were spoofed into drilling holes in their new iPhone in a vain attempt to locate the headphone socket that was reputed to lie behind the plastic. Whether this story is true or not I do not know.
M

Wouldn't surprise me. It astounds me how big of a deal people make about that, when all you have to do is buy a cheap adapter or lightning headphones.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
M
I know people were fanatical about that jack but that's ridiculous. You'd think it would dawn pn someone that if the jack was still in place there'd be no treason to cover it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.