Magic keyboard pairing

Reaction score
Anyone had an issue with Magic Wireless keyboard paring? The Mac identifies the keyboard but it doesn't the numeric passcode when typed. Would that mean the keyboard is not typing correctly? I attempted quite a few times and there had been several different numbers. None worked. Is there a possibility to choose to type letters instead of numbers, just in case the numbers are not typing correctly? It's an old keyboard and had not been used for years but the battery is working and it does switch on. However caps key doesn't light up with green light when pressed. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What Mac model, year and OS are you trying to pair it with? I had this issue once when I was upgrading the OS on my Mac. But never when an OS was already installed and in use. Have you been using the Mac with a different keyboard? Is it USB, wireless or bluetooth?

OP
K
Reaction score
Bob hi, thanks for reply. Mac has been upgraded from 10.7.5 to 10.11 quite recently. It's iMac mid-2007 model.
Previously it had USB keyboard. Maybe I will try the keyboard on my old Mac Air and see if it will pair. Was there any solution to your upgraded Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since the Caps Lock light isn't working, I believe there is something wrong with the keyboard. Do you have any other batteries you can use to test with?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe your iMac might be too old to correctly pair the wireless Magic BT keyboard or the keyboard is defective. Your iMac only has BT 2.0. Try pairing the keyboard on another later model Mac if you have one to test with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
According to Apple and using a Magic Wireless keyboard:
System Requirements
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X 10.11 or later

But maybe check their Compatibility list to confirm the support at:

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
His Magic Keyboard is not the rechargeable type but has batteries installed instead. It's the older or first Magic Keyboard that Apple provided with some models.

I see that he is running 10.11 for compatibility, so that leads me to believe the keyboard itself may be defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
His Magic Keyboard is not the rechargeable type but has batteries installed instead. It's the older or first Magic Keyboard that Apple provided with some models.

Silly me... I keep forgetting that Apple is a bit goofy with its naming conventions...

Magic Keyboard describes three different Apple products, ... ... ...
Apple uses the term Magic Keyboard to describe multiple products. These include a Bluetooth keyboard Apple makes for desktop Mac users, the company's latest MacBook keyboards, and a premium keyboard/trackpad accessory for the iPad Pro.

Anyway, you are probably quite correct that the keyboard itself may be kaput.

- Patrick
=======

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you everyone - I have carried out a test on my MacBook Air with OS 10.7.5 and the keyboard somehow managed to succeed in paring. However the keyboard turned out to be defective as not all keys typed. Especially the number keys. None typed except 0. Hence the paring attempts failed. the MacBook Air with OS 10.7.5 gives 3 options of pairing passkey setting so I could choose either from: 1. one time passkey, 2. pre-set chosen 4 digit numbers or 3. don't use passkey for paring
option 1 was the default and the only option for iMac with OS 10.11, option 2 is the one that I used for paring with MacBook Air and '0000' miraculously worked. option 3 didn't work
Also I found that the keyboard is officially called 'Apple Wireless Keyboard (2007)', with 3 batteries so it's the first generation. The original User's Guide that I managed to download didn't have paring section and therefore may not be required originally. https://support.apple.com/en_US/manuals/peripherals
It's time to invest a new one..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest Apple Magic Keyboard 2 has a built in rechargeable battery. However, you can still find older keyboards on eBay and other sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.