Macs, Gaming and Life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thats true, but if your looking through 100,000 mp3's, are you going to hit CMD+I for every single one to find out what bitrate it is? If you could display the bitrate as a column for example, then this would be useful. Bitrate is of course, just an example. If you know of a way around this then shoot.

Well for this example you can set up the application itunes to show the but rates of all of your mp3s in a long list as you want.

But for some really basic info you can turn this option on in the latest version of the Mac OS 10.5. Right any folder including the finder in icon view and right click in the space in the folder and click on show folder option And turn on show item info. Then for each icon there will be some basic info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Yeah I think the best setup is possibly one of each! :)

If you are an avid gamer, absolutely! I just can not seriously consider any Mac, other than a Mac Pro, a serious gaming rig. A gamer has to have the options to upgrade, on demand, his video card, sound card, possibly his hard drive, and memory. On anything other than the Mac Pro, upgrading anything other than memory is a near impossibility. Most Mac's are just not remotely upgradable. I'd get a Falcon Northwest, Alienware, or build a rig to my specs on an XP platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Thats true, but if your looking through 100,000 mp3's, are you going to hit CMD+I for every single one to find out what bitrate it is? If you could display the bitrate as a column for example, then this would be useful. Bitrate is of course, just an example. If you know of a way around this then shoot.
Tools like Finder and MS Windows Explorer are not meant to list details of every file type on the planet. So why would you be surprised bitrate isn't available in the Finder.

I have all my music in iTunes which allows me to list every song I have sorted by bitrate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Silly little things that you take for granted in Windows, that Steve Jobs has decided in his better wisdom that you don't need anymore.

What silly things? I'll repeat what has been said here many many times; OS X is NOT MS Windows.

No more wondering why apple have made it so stupidly complicated just to upgrade your own machine. Things like messenger for MAC, in all its uglyness will also no longer be missed.

First, you bought a machine designed with limited upgrade ability. You are clearly the type who KNEW THAT GOING IN. If you are going to whine about it being "stupidly complicated just to upgrade", then back that up, keeping in mind the machine design and target customer.

Second, Messenger is Microsoft's uglyness. It has nothng to do with Apple or their OS. I mention this for the looky-loos who might not know better.

...so do your home work before the switch people!

I agree with that statement.

Operating systems and software are just tools. If you think OS X is not for you, fine. Ranting is fine if don't get into making silly statements. If you have something specific you don't like or don't know, ask in a constructive manner instead.

In computer speak, uppercase MAC usually refers to Media Access Control address. Every ethernet card is suppose to have a unique identifier.

Reaction score
I have to agree with numerous issues raised throughout this thread. I also have a few disagreements. Let's start with the agrees first...

I will definitely agree that the decision to make the switch should be one that involves a great deal of consideration. Apple, like many of the large PC vendors, offers a range of products and if you are serious about switching you have to choose the right product for your needs. Unfortunately, I also have to agree that software choice and upgradability are definitely advantages for the Windows platform. Even the Mac Pro is relatively limited in it's upgrade options when compared to a PC.

Now for the disagreements... First off, I have to say that I'm a very happy switcher and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I purchased a "build to order" Mac Pro. I knew that I wanted to do some gaming and would probably Boot Camp the system to run XP. The GeForce 8800 video card option sealed the deal here for me. Unless you are a serious tweaker, or FPS junky, I would highly recommend a Mac Pro for a typical gamer.

One other thing I find odd about the original post... He indicated that Finder doesn't show bit rate, artist, title, etc. Unless I'm way off base here, neither does Windows Explorer. Personally, I wouldn't expect a general filesystem browser to show those kinds of details. I would use a music program like iTunes to view those kinds of details just like I would use a program like iPhoto to be able to view detailed information about pictures. I think that this is a matter of using the right tool/app for the job.

Anyway, I love my Mac Pro. I do everything under OS X except gaming. I have setup Bootcamp and installed a half dozen or so of my favorite Windows games there. I reboot to play those, and then boot back to OS X to do everything else. Ideally, I would love to not have to reboot to play games, but that is the only real solution at this point.

Reaction score
"He indicated that Finder doesn't show bit rate, artist, title, etc. Unless I'm way off base here, neither does Windows Explorer"

It does, at least in Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i have no problems with games. i ran BF2, COD 1,2,3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator with no problems. It actually runs better than my PC desktop. What specifically was your problem (choppy gameplay, slow boot times, ect)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
cmd+option+I... that's the answer to your question, that's how you look at the info of multiple files in one Info window.

No, sorry but this is what you told me originally, and it doesn't help my problem at all. The fact is you need to press keys in order to see the individual information for a file. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Windows OS, but you can set your window to display certain column headings, so you can see in an instant what the details of the file are, just by looking. You can also then click the column to organize ascending etc etc.

I agree that there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

-I prefer all the options, features and different ways of doing things with a PC, Including games and nearly every bit of software is designed for it.

-I prefer mac as it seems friendlier, less crashes, pretty GUI.

Its a toss up between then both in my eyes. one of the reasons im using a mac is because of Vista and i like mac notebooks. If i was going to get a desktop it would probably be a PC, or a mac pro if i had silly money. Im 50-50 between them both.

Yeah I agree with you in what you have said.

Please give us some details. What drivers are you using? What settings etc?

Is this a rant, or do you want constructive help?

There is nothing really that I can tell you. The specs of my Mac are under my name. I'm using Windows XP Pro via bootcamp, and the game is called 'Supreme Commander'...if there is anything else you would like to know just ask.

No, I am not having a rant.

Well for this example you can set up the application itunes to show the but rates of all of your mp3s in a long list as you want.

But for some really basic info you can turn this option on in the latest version of the Mac OS 10.5. Right any folder including the finder in icon view and right click in the space in the folder and click on show folder option And turn on show item info. Then for each icon there will be some basic info.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to list my files in iTunes, I would have to actually open the files in iTunes would I not? Then if I would like to view a different folder in detail, I would need to go to that folder, select all the files, and open them in iTunes...adding to the list thats already there unless I remove the first list. Thats just stupidly complicated to me, but its definitely a last resort I guess.

If you are an avid gamer, absolutely! I just can not seriously consider any Mac, other than a Mac Pro, a serious gaming rig. A gamer has to have the options to upgrade, on demand, his video card, sound card, possibly his hard drive, and memory. On anything other than the Mac Pro, upgrading anything other than memory is a near impossibility. Most Mac's are just not remotely upgradable. I'd get a Falcon Northwest, Alienware, or build a rig to my specs on an XP platform.

Yeah I agree here. I think if I had to do it again, I would get the Mac Pro.

Tools like Finder and MS Windows Explorer are not meant to list details of every file type on the planet. So why would you be surprised bitrate isn't available in the Finder.

I have all my music in iTunes which allows me to list every song I have sorted by bitrate.

Because it IS available in Windows, would be the first answer to that question.

If you have used Windows in the past, you would know of the vast amount of column headings that ARE AVAILABLE in Windows explorer. If you select to view the bitrate column in a folder full of images, then that column would obviously contain no data....its that simple...and thats the way Windows does it.

Its very much a case of you pick which columns you want (from an extensive list in Windows compared to Mac OSX), and if the data is in the file, then the data is shown, if the data is not in the file, then the data is not shown, but all the options are always available!

So I indeed am very suprised bitrate (for example) is not available in Mac OSX...it would simply be a matter of including more column heading options!

Yes, iTunes does that, see my earlier reply.

What silly things? I'll repeat what has been said here many many times; OS X is NOT MS Windows.

First, you bought a machine designed with limited upgrade ability. You are clearly the type who KNEW THAT GOING IN. If you are going to whine about it being "stupidly complicated just to upgrade", then back that up, keeping in mind the machine design and target customer.

Second, Messenger is Microsoft's uglyness. It has nothng to do with Apple or their OS. I mention this for the looky-loos who might not know better.

I agree with that statement.

Operating systems and software are just tools. If you think OS X is not for you, fine. Ranting is fine if don't get into making silly statements. If you have something specific you don't like or don't know, ask in a constructive manner instead.

In computer speak, uppercase MAC usually refers to Media Access Control address. Every ethernet card is suppose to have a unique identifier.

I am not whining about anything. I cover good and bad points of both systems, with the goal of letting potential converters know that just by changing over to the Mac there life will not be all sunshine and roses, as Apples advertising campaign would have you believe.

I think its clear from what I wrote, that no system is perfect, and that I encourage any individual thinking about making a switch to do their research.

I knew quite a lot going in yes, but by no means does that take away my right to present my findings as I see them. I am a real life switcher, and not a long term Mac user, so I believe that what I have learned as past few months could be of use to someone considering the switch.

As far as me asking in a constructive manner is concerned, I think you misunderstand the point of the post. It wasn't so much a question. I can ask a question just fine if you look around the site you will see that. It was more of me showing my findings, and as I said, something for potential switchers to read....rather than the normal Macs rule kind of thought that is obviously common in an Apple forum.

And the whole MAC vs Mac thing, I mean seriously. I think everyone knew what I meant. Its getting very dirty in here if I'm being knocked down for that.

i have no problems with games. i ran BF2, COD 1,2,3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator with no problems. It actually runs better than my PC desktop. What specifically was your problem (choppy gameplay, slow boot times, ect)?

Yeah it was the frame rate...very slow. Supreme Commander is notorious for needing high specs though. Not sure if you have ever played it, but I think its the most demanding game ever released for the PC! I think they designed it that way so it would last a long time.

Thanks for your input everyone :)

Reaction score
If gaming is your primary reason for owning a computer, buy a Windows PC. I bought an iMac so I would waste less time playing games.

That being said, some companies support the Mac natively. Blizzard Entertainment has always supported the Mac and they make top-notch PC games.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I find odd about the original post... He indicated that Finder doesn't show bit rate, artist, title, etc. Unless I'm way off base here, neither does Windows Explorer

Dude who are you talking to here??? Its ME that you are replying to, and I happen to have a name!! :Not-Amused:

A bit of respect would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

And yes, in this instance you are indeed way of base.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If gaming is your primary reason for owning a computer, buy a Windows PC. I bought an iMac so I would waste less time playing games.

That being said, some companies support the Mac natively. Blizzard Entertainment has always supported the Mac and they make top-notch PC games.

Cool thanks, will check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knew quite a lot going in yes, but by no means does that take away my right to present my findings as I see them. I am a real life switcher, and not a long term Mac user, so I believe that what I have learned as past few months could be of use to someone considering the switch.

As far as me asking in a constructive manner is concerned, I think you misunderstand the point of the post. It wasn't so much a question. I can ask a question just fine if you look around the site you will see that. It was more of me showing my findings, and as I said, something for potential switchers to read....rather than the normal Macs rule kind of thought that is obviously common in an Apple forum.

I think you could have constructed your persentation a little better. It sounded to me that you had just finished a poor gaming experience and then launched into a minor rant. From experience, I'd say writting a draft and putting it aside for a few hours is better than just posting. You know you'll find things upon review that you may want to reword. I certainly reworded my first response to you. O:)

I actually do like to hear switchers experiences. On occasion it even opens me up to things I didn't know or consider. Such as the bitrate column thing. I don't recall seeing that in MS Windows 2000 or XP, both of which I've used.

And the whole MAC vs Mac thing, I mean seriously. I think everyone knew what I meant. Its getting very dirty in here if I'm being knocked down for that.

The reason this is an issue is the same reason as referring to MS Windows as windoze. You are talking down to an audience. From your demeanor, I doubt you meant to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dude who are you talking to here??? Its ME that you are replying to, and I happen to have a name!! :Not-Amused:

A bit of respect would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

I don't think you need to take that as an insult. It is common to refer to the first post and thereby the original poster as the 'original post' or OP. svnipp started out by posting to the thread in general, not specifically to you. svnipp did assume your gender is male though. :Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok perhaps I could have structured it a bit better I admit.

I'm not here to attack anyone personally or anything and I appreciate the way you worded your last 3 posts (xtep).

Soooo, many things to consider on both sides of this argument then! :Smirk:

I actually like the Mac very much just to add! It has a lot of advanced features. Just a few things that I have grown to use on Windows.

Really its unrealistic to think that one system or one anything could be 100% the best IMO. I do like my Mac and my PC.

Has anyone here built there own PC btw? I really loved my first one :)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah, I did a few months ago, just for one to play around with, my MacBook is my primary computer though, I'm a bit of a computer geek so I get a kick out of building them and taking them apart and what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not here to attack anyone personally or anything and I appreciate the way you worded your last 3 posts (xtep).

Yea. I have to keep that in mind sometimes and think, what is my real point. I dont' want to insult people either, but sometimes I'm a little too direct.

Really its unrealistic to think that one system or one anything could be 100% the best IMO. I do like my Mac and my PC.

Too true. Unfortunately most people can only afford investing money and time into one computer system. Most times I think that is actually better because then you don't have to deal with a split personallity. Switching between two or more systems in a day can be a hassle.

Has anyone here built there own PC btw? I really loved my first one :)

My first Intel box was a custom build order from a small dealer. After that I built a few mainly for gaming but personal servers too. I haven't built one in the last few years because their were not enough network game days to justify the cost. It was fun though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Gaming has never been good on any PC...compared to a dedicated console. However I tried crysis on xp via boot camp just for the heck of it and it plays superb and that is one **** of a demanding game.

Im a recent switcher and have used windows ever since it was out BUT MS has lost its way and really whats wrong with trying and learning something new/different.

I am using xp via fusion and dedicate one space to xp and everything works just awesome. Im in and out of xp instantly. Perhaps you need to experiment. I have the best of both worlds.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While it may be true that Finder doesn't show the bit rate - and I have not checked to see if the option is available...

If you are using iTunes, that option is certainly available as are many more options I have not seen anywhere else.

In iTunes - switch to list view.
Then on the menu at the top, go to 'View' then to 'View Options'. There you will find 'bit rate' as well as about 40 other options that you can add to list view.

There are a few of us old hardware enthusiasts around. Built my first of many gaming systems and began overclocking about 13 years ago now.
slinki, you may like one of my posts from a year or so ago.

You're right about one thing, and there are none of the long time Mac users around this forum that I've seen, that would recommend anything but a Windows machine for a high end gaming rig.

And anyone that hasn't had a PC that is excellent at gaming has never built any top of the line rigs with nothing else in mind. The problem with PC's is that as hardware advances, the games are developed for the new hardware so they can get the most from their games. This leads to an endless cycle of upgrading to keep up with the capability of the games. With gaming consoles, the games are written specifically for the hardware in the console - there is no advancing hardware for the developers to write for until the next console, which means not many advancements in their games. In this case it's a matter of 'to each his own'. Until the XBOX 360 and the PS3, there was no console that could keep up with a high end gaming PC (jmho).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.