MacPro Question ..........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone 6 - Airport Extreme - Mac Book Pro
Does the "New" Mac Pro come with a cd/dvd player or do you have to buy an external one for it. The advertizing I'm reading isn't clear and I want to avoid a sales pitch by not calling the Apple people direct.
thank you .........

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nope…no built-in optical drive. You need to purchase an external.

- Nck

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope…no built-in optical drive. You need to purchase an external.

- Nck

Thank you .......... That was the way I was reading it but wasn't sure. I will order the super drive with it then.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lucky you!:)

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, lucky wife, dang it, lol. I'm on a crusade to replace all of our windows equipment with Apple products and her Windows machine is dated and losing body parts, so she will be the first to get a new Mac. Since we're retired and starting to travel some she opted for a laptop over a box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
No, lucky wife, dang it, lol. I'm on a crusade to replace all of our windows equipment with Apple products and her Windows machine is dated and losing body parts, so she will be the first to get a new Mac. Since we're retired and starting to travel some she opted for a laptop over a box.

Hello - I'm 3 years retired and spring of 2013, replaced my Windows laptop & PC w/ a MBPro & and iMac - also an AirPort Extreme router - we've been quite pleased.

However, 'on the road' (we do a LOT of short car trips now), our Wi-Fi iPads usually serve our purposes (just email, reading, & web browsing our locations for sites to see & restaurants) - always stay @ places w/ Wi-Fi - take along a Bluetooth KB - easy to pack and fills our needs. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since we're retired and starting to travel some she opted for a laptop over a box.

The answers I gave you earlier are still the same…but we are slightly not on the same page.;)

The title of the thread and the first post…mention a "Mac Pro". A Mac Pro is a top of the line desktop computer. I think that what you're talking about is a "MacBook Pro" notebook/laptop computer.

Please be careful with those abbreviations.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Doesn't the Macbook Pro 13" non-retina display still have a superdrive??? I thought it was the last holdout.

Lisa

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, it's time to scale back and take it all with us LOL.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't the Macbook Pro 13" non-retina display still have a superdrive??? I thought it was the last holdout.

Yes…that is the last MacBook Pro still being sold with a superdrive (a 2012 model).

This is why I mentioned that using the abbreviation "Mac Pro" can confuse things (if not talking about a Mac Pro desktop). I thought the OP ("lizardskeep") was talking about a "Mac Pro" desktop since the beginning of the thread…but I think that we are talking about a "MacBook Pro".:)

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answers I gave you earlier are still the same…but we are slightly not on the same page.;)

The title of the thread and the first post…mention a "Mac Pro". A Mac Pro is a top of the line desktop computer. I think that what you're talking about is a "MacBook Pro" notebook/laptop computer.

Please be careful with those abbreviations.;)

- Nick

Sorry ..... can you tell I'm new? O:) I'll stop with abbreviations until I understand more of what I think I know LOL.

The MacBook Pro is what I was talking about.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry ..... can you tell I'm new? O:) I'll stop with abbreviations until I understand more of what I think I know LOL.

The MacBook Pro is what I was talking about.

No problem! Luckily the answers were the same (no built in DVD drive). :)

UNLESS…you are getting the low-end $1099 model 13" MacBook Pro. This is actually a 2012 model that Apple is still selling…and it does still have a built in DVD drive.

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! Luckily the answers were the same (no built in DVD drive). :)

UNLESS…you are getting the low-end $1099 model 13" MacBook Pro. This is actually a 2012 model that Apple is still selling…and it does still have a built in DVD drive.

- Nick

I think this is the one she'll get ....

13-inch: 2.6GHz
with Retina display
Specifications

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics
Built-in battery (9 hours)2

Maybe the 120 gb version. Still trying to figure out how much storage she really needs. I guess we can get an external drive if she needs more.

Your opinion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this is the one she'll get ....

13-inch: 2.6GHz
with Retina display

All of the 13" retina MacBook Pro's have no built-in optical drive. So getting the external drive (like you were going to do)…would still be the plan.:)

Maybe the 120 gb version. Still trying to figure out how much storage she really needs. I guess we can get an external drive if she needs more.

Your opinion?

Some folks feel that 128gig of storage is on the small side…but it all depends on a person's needs. I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro with a 320gig drive that I've been using for about 2 years…and I've only used 10.5 gig on it. I pretty much use this computer for internet, email, and online gaming.

But if someone has a large music library, large movie library, or works with a lot of video files…128gig of internal storage can be small.

Like you said…you can always get an external drive to off-load infrequently used stuff.:)

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info .... I'll get it figured out by Xmass maybe.

Oh, I see I've already misquoted something else .... the size of the other drive by 8 gigs .... sigh. My CRS is catching up with me. lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I see I've already misquoted something else .... the size of the other drive by 8 gigs .... sigh. My CRS is catching up with me. lol

That was a small thing…no confusion there! I got CRS as well!;)

From this point forward (retirement) you only need to remember two things:

- Your marriage anniversary date!
- Your wife's birthday!

Ha ha!;);)

- Nick

p.s. Your wife can remember all the other important things!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like all of us lizard when you married 'Miss Right' you never realised her first name was 'Always'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OKAY OKAY.... you boys need to quit. Just go into your corners and admit to the superiority of the female. What would you do with out us??? O:)O:)O:) :*

Lisa

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OKAY OKAY.... you boys need to quit. Just go into your corners and admit to the superiority of the female. What would you do with out us??? O:)O:)O:) :*

Lisa

Yes em .....:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.