MacPro/MacAir

Reaction score
Don't know if I'm in the correct section. I have a Mac Pro (2013) that my son told me to replace with a Mac Air. I was proud of myself that I was able to migrate old to new but nothing is working. My Word docs came thru Read Only, mail program didn't work, and I did connect Sandisk but it's still connected to Pro. And do i need this anyway? I'm no longer involved in any organizations so think if I can just scan the documents I want and then use Pages,then I can actually do without Word. Same with Excel--really don't need it anymore. I'm also very inefficient using the track as have always been a Mouse girl (except when being a Cougar). If I get a mouse there's no place to plug in as the Sandisk is in one outlet and main cord in other. Would appreciate any assistance you experts can give me! Thanks for considering my problems. Mary Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mary Lee, it sounds like the migration of your data was not done correctly. You were a bit sparse on telling us what you did, but if you still have the old machine and want to try again (or if you have the backups of the old machine), we can talk you through the process from scratch. If you want that, you will lose everything currently on the drive now, but should be able to get all of the stuff from the old system to the new just fine.

As for a mouse, you can get a wireless mouse and use that, or you can get a hub to have more USB-c ports to use for things like the mouse and external drives.

So, what MacBook Air (MBA) did you get and what version of macOS is running on it and what was the version of macOS on the old Mac? Where are the files you need to access?

OP
M
Reaction score
Don't know if the above posted.
Mary Lee, it sounds like the migration of your data was not done correctly. You were a bit sparse on telling us what you did, but if you still have the old machine and want to try again (or if you have the backups of the old machine), we can talk you through the process from scratch. If you want that, you will lose everything currently on the drive now, but should be able to get all of the stuff from the old system to the new just fine.

As for a mouse, you can get a wireless mouse and use that, or you can get a hub to have more USB-c ports to use for things like the mouse and external drives.

So, what MacBook Air (MBA) did you get and what version of macOS is running on it and what was the version of macOS on the old Mac? Where are the files you need to access?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and I did connect Sandisk but it's still connected to Pro. And do i need this anyway?

If I get a mouse there's no place to plug in as the Sandisk is in one outlet and main cord in other. Would appreciate any assistance you experts can give me! Thanks for considering my problems. Mary Lee

Please clarify what this "SanDisk" device is please. "Sandisk" is a brand name...not a device.

I'm assuming it's an external drive of some sort...but I could be wrong.;)

Also please tell us what you mostly used this "Sandisk" device for. If it's an external storage device...what you mostly store on it.

Thanks,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Don't know if I'm in the correct section. I have a Mac Pro (2013) that my son told me to replace with a Mac Air. I was proud of myself that I was able to migrate old to new but nothing is working. My Word docs came thru Read Only, mail program didn't work, and I did connect Sandisk but it's still connected to Pro. And do i need this anyway? I'm no longer involved in any organizations so think if I can just scan the documents I want and then use Pages,then I can actually do without Word. Same with Excel--really don't need it anymore. I'm also very inefficient using the track as have always been a Mouse girl (except when being a Cougar). If I get a mouse there's no place to plug in as the Sandisk is in one outlet and main cord in other. Would appreciate any assistance you experts can give me! Thanks for considering my problems. Mary Lee
You can download Open Office for free, and works just like Microsoft Office. You can get a splitter to accommodate both your mouse and Sandisk at the same time. Best Buy carries them, as does Staples.

OP
M
Reaction score

I figured since this was a new issue that Apple would assist me with setup. And the tech did. Think everything is working and she even got my Word program working. Hope to get a wireless mouse tomorrow at Office Depot. So hard to get instant gratification in the Keys. Thank you all for considering my problems.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
We seem to have lost the "OP" strip across the Original Poster.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Please clarify what this "SanDisk" device is please. "Sandisk" is a brand name...not a device.

I'm assuming it's an external drive of some sort...but I could be wrong.;)

Also please tell us what you mostly used this "Sandisk" device for. If it's an external storage device...what you mostly store on it.

Thanks,

Nick
The Sandisk is used for external hard drive back up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Sandisk is used for external hard drive back up.
Thanks for clarifying.:)

Just as a reminder..."Sandisk" is a brand name. "Sandisk" does not identify what sort of device it is. "Sandisk" sells many many different products. If you visit this link...there are approximately 112 different "Sandisk" products:

All we need to know is that the "Sandisk" device is an external hard drive.:)

Thanks,

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So hard to get instant gratification in the Keys.
This may be true when it comes to computing related products. But the Keys do offer many other positives...that those of us that live in heavily urbanized areas...would gladly trade for.:)

Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Ian
Probably a result of the admin team mucking around in the guts of the site for a bit today. :) A few features may be twitchy for a bit but things should back to normal soon.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Got PM from Nick explaining the situation. Thanks for your kind response, Sly.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Got PM from Nick explaining the situation. Thanks for your kind response, Sly.

I was beginning to wonder what it was that you were referring to until I realized the flagged "OP" label option that used to show up was missing.

I guess the regular observant members noticed it missing and the Admins were just doing some testing on who the observant ones are... :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I guess the regular observant members noticed it missing and the Admins were just doing some testing on who the observant ones are... :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======
All part of our efforts to make sure you guys are on your toes.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.