MacPro and beamer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
experienced Photoshop user
Is it possible to connect the MacPro directly to a beamer (without a screen attached to the Mac) And ifso is there a cable avalable?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First…when you say "Mac Pro" are you talking a desktop computer or a notebook computer? A "Mac Pro" is a desktop computer. A MacBook Pro is a notebook computer.

When you say "connect to a beamer"…are you talking a BMW automobile? If so…then you would need to tell us what sort of ports your BMW has. And when you say connect it directly…what are you trying to do (play music or videos for example)? If so…many folks do this with their iPhone or iPod.

- Nick

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First…when you say "Mac Pro" are you talking a desktop computer or a notebook computer? A "Mac Pro" is a desktop computer. A MacBook Pro is a notebook computer.

When you say "connect to a beamer"…are you talking a BMW automobile? If so…then you would need to tell us what sort of ports your BMW has. And when you say connect it directly…what are you trying to do (play music or videos for example)? If so…many folks do this with their iPhone or iPod.

- Nick

My workstation is a MacPro desktop computer. I was not talking about a MacBOOKpro and I don't own a BMW(?) I just want to attach a beamer (is that word in English unknown? A device to project your activities of your computer on a wall in a dark environment to an audience, without having to attach a screen. So from computer directly to the beamer

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My workstation is a MacPro desktop computer. I was not talking about a MacBOOKpro and I don't own a BMW(?) I just want to attach a beamer (is that word in English unknown? A device to project your activities of your computer on a wall in a dark environment to an audience, without having to attach a screen. So from computer directly to the beamer

Yes we call just such a device a "projector"::)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/projector

Yes this is possible with your Mac Pro. In order to figure out what cable you would need…we would need to know what video ports your Mac Pro's video card has…and we would need to know what ports your projector/beamer has.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are not familiar with the types of audio/video ports, have a look at post # 4 here.

Apparently you'll need to click the attachment link to see some of them as it appears the forum now refuses to permit more than 5 pics in a post.
I had to cheat the system to even update all of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes and have done it. The Mac Pro will "see" the projector/beamer as a monitor. The cable you use will depend on what connections you have on the projector and on your video card. In my case I used a DVI port on my video card and to a DVI port on the projector.

I have used a VGA to DVI adapter with an older projector and it worked fine. There are certainly other options and adapters you can use.

Lisa

OP
theo barten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and have done it. The Mac Pro will "see" the projector/beamer as a monitor. The cable you use will depend on what connections you have on the projector and on your video card. In my case I used a DVI port on my video card and to a DVI port on the projector.

I have used a VGA to DVI adapter with an older projector and it worked fine. There are certainly other options and adapters you can use.

Lisa

Thanx for the advice folks. I will follow. I already have a VGA to DVI. That should work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.