MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.11PPC.dmg - does it include Classic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
can one of you kind people tell me if MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.11PPC.dmg includes Classic, or if not how I would be able to get a "Classic". I am buying a used G4 powerbook having sold my own old one thinking I had finished with Microstation 98 (architectural & engineering 3D CAD, Bentley systems), but find I need it again. Everyone selling G4s in Uk has kindly updated them to OS10.5 grrrrr

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If by "Classic" you mean old OS 9 or earlier…"Classic" would have been on one of the gray disks that originally came with a computer "back in the day" when it was new. Firstly…if you don't have the original gray disks that came with this computer (which wouldn't be uncommon)…don't try to source them…since they are model specific.

You may also want to read these:

Tutorial: Installing Classic over a current Mac OS X installation - CNET
How to Create A "Classic" Mode Startup Disk Image

More than likely…you're going to need to source (eBay) some original OS 9 install disk/disks.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What is the .dmg? Trust this is not a pirate downloaded version of OS X.4 Tiger. The Combo means it is the final update to OS X.4 and it does not include Classic which is an earlier operating system. You would be best seqrvhing eBay for OS 9.2.2 retail CDs.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
Hello Harry

The combo is available as a free download & yes the final version. What is on the computer is probably the same final upgrade obtained by using 'Software Update' from within the computer. And I suspect you are right as the Apple manual talks of a disc 3 with classic on it.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA606/en_US/PowerBookG4_17inch1.67GHzUserGuide.pdf p68

I am slightly vague as I have stalled during buying a used machine and not getting a coherent story about how the machine got the way it is way after having been upgraded to 10.5. As I can't think there is any way it can have been erased, and then an OS reinstalled to upgrade, WITHOUT an install disk for earlier OS being involved, I am hoping that that might include Classic.

If not, as Nick says, the Grey install disks were machine specific. There are however some black ones about (at a price!) which seem to be split multi-desk or server installs? Would they work

Any other ideas?

I am in touch with a gal I sold my 1GH 15"MBP to with the 10.2 install disks, but I don't think borrowing those back would do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If as you say it is running OS X.4.11 the OS X.2 discs are a no go.

Also be aware that OS 9 drivers needed to be installed at the time of OS X.4 formatted the drive. Otherwise Chris everything has to be wiped, formatted, and start all over again.

C

chas_m

If you can get a Mac SE ROM and retail OS 9 disks, maybe have a look at Sheepshaver, which works even in Yosemite:

The Official SheepShaver Home Page

NOT easy to set up, but once it works it works. Not guaranteed to run absolutely everything that ever came out for OS 9, but likely to be good for 90+ percent of apps from that era.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.