MacOS X Yosemite Lag Problem?

Reaction score
Okay, since updating to OS X 10.10.1, everytime I log into my profile in my MacBook Pro, when using my computer (for gaming and such) my Mac just freezes and the rainbow ball comes out for at least 15 seconds. It makes my Mac unbearably unusable because it's slows, it usually happens every couple seconds right after it gets done freezing, when I'm typing, or when my internet drops because of that other issue. Is anyone else having this sorta problem or do is it my Mac that seems to only have it. If anyone has a solution besides waiting for the 10.10.2 update, it's always acceptable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It is really hard to diagnose a problem when you haven't provided your computer's specifics. What year is your Macbook Pro, how much memory does it have, how full is the hard drive? These are important to know if you want help.

From what I have read in your past posts, you did not do a clean install which may or may not have created a problem. But clean install is better because it helps narrow down the possibilities.

Have you run Disk Utility to repair the hard drive and repair permissions. Restart your computer, hold down CMD + R and run Disk Utilities. Have you installed and run Onyx to clean up all kinds of system garbage?

Titanium Software - Home

All these will help. Anymore will require more information.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
My MacBook Pro is from 2013
My Specs:
2.9 GHz Intel Core 17
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Macintosh HD
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
I have 450.36 GB left out of 748.93 GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the information.
You should be flying along with Yosemite unless...
1. You installed over Mavericks and that caused issues
2. You need to run Disc Utility and/or Onyx to clean up issues (although that probably won't help with the wifi issue)
3. Slim chance of a hardware issue like a hard drive problem - I said slim but possible
4. A corrupt user profile issue.
5. An installed app that is creating an issue - you might look at your start ups and eliminate all of them or try starting in safe mode and see if it runs better. If it does that would tell you it is more likely software and not hardware.

Truthfully after I did all the above and there was still a problem, I would do a clean install of Yosemite (after moving all my important files off of it.)

Lisa

(Or any chance there is an Apple store with a genius bar close by? Is it still under Apple Care? As new as it is it might be worth the trip.)

OP
C
Reaction score
The lag problems seem to still go on, but it's mostly because of the wifi issue it seems. Though one can never be too sure since I just got done restarting after cleaning using OnyX. Hopefully the problem is done (I just had another lag but it seem to take a bit less time), hopefully the problem will go away when the wifi issue gets fixed.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just for comparison sake I am running a;
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
OSX Yosemite 10.10.1
I have not had an issue with WiFi, I do not get spinning beach balls or as I prefer to them SPOD (the spinning Pizza of Death) and start up from login to active desktop takes 10 secs.
All functions and apps work as they should absolutely no problems, in fact I was running the Beta version off an old Transcend external HD and except for a longer startup time had no problems running 3-4 apps at the same time. However I do have 220 Gb free out of 500 Gb and I believe that can make a big difference. :Blushing:
As for the WiFi issue, easy to check if it's the culprit, just turn it off and restart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I agree with Rod. I am wondering if your WiFi is not the issue. It is possible it is flaky. They seemed to have fixed the issues with WiFi in the 10.10.1 release. I never did have any issues with WiFi on my three laptops. WiFi problems are hard to track down because it could be the laptop or it could be the router or it could be the firewall on the router....anyway. Do you have anything else running WiFi in on the same wireless setup as your MB Pro and is it having any issues? If not then we are back to your Mac having the issue.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.