macOS Catalina (10.15) is now available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
Well I bit the bullet and pressed GO!

Probably the smoothest/fastest update I've ever had and everything seems to work ok including my Canon Printer, Microsoft apps and Adobe Photoshop!

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is how CCC is going to deal with my daily back up now that there are two Macintosh HDs - HD & HD Data.

I have put the Relocated Items folder to one side and I'll worry about it for a few days!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did the upgrade last night and everything is fine so far. At work I have a WavLink USB dock to power my external monitors that needed a bit of restart to work, but that seems to be working again.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
Ian

Thanks for those links I'm now 100% sure how CCC will/should deal with my Daily Backups! They certainly seem to have been well ahead of the game.

It's good to see Apple becoming anglicised and renaming the TRASH as BIN ;D

Peter

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's good to see Apple becoming anglicised and renaming the TRASH as BIN

Yes indeed. They started this with iOS 13 for iDevices.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I dove right in with my MacBook Air last night. I was actually surprised to see it was supported (mid-2012 model) because I could have sworn it was previously reported to not be on the compatibility list. I had already weeded out all 32-bit apps on it anyway, so it has largely been a smooth transition. One of my bigger concerns was going to be programming my Logitech Harmony remotes since their software was definitely not going to be compatible, but they released a new overhauled app literally just in time.

I did run into a couple unexpected hiccups with screensavers. I had one that macOS refused to use because the developer couldn't be identified and only offered to delete it. What I had to do was go to the Screen Savers folder in my Library; right-click on the screen saver file; and select "Open" (same process as regular apps from unidentified developers). Obviously only do this if you trust the developer. One other screensaver that is jacked up is Dream Aquarium. The developer posted a beta update for Catalina support, but I can't change any options in the saver because Catalina disallows keyboard input for screensavers. Hopefully he can figure out a workaround.

I'm going to upgrade my wife's Mac mini this weekend, which should go equally smoothly. I'm going to sit on upgrading the iMac at this time thanks to a handful of 32-bit games on there (even though I'm not actually playing them) as well as some apps running under Wineskin that will be dead in the water. I think eventually I'm just going to set it up for dual-booting Mojave and Catalina as well as running Mojave in a VM. To be more practical though, I may as well just get and use the Windows-versions of the 32-bit games and apps that I can't or don't want to run in a VM since I already have Windows set up as Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's good to see Apple becoming anglicised and renaming the TRASH as BIN ;D

I've noticed some of our TV news people have picked up some bad grammar and pronunciation from their counterparts across the pond. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@LB Thanks for the info about the Logitech software for programming their remotes. It was one of only three or four 32-bit apps I still use.

Edit: Which remote are you using? All of the info I find for my remote seems to suggest that the Catalna update won't happen until some time in November at the earliest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@LB Thanks for the info about the Logitech software for programming their remotes. It was one of only three or four 32-bit apps I still use.

Edit: Which remote are you using? All of the info I find for my remote seems to suggest that the Catalna update won't happen until some time in November at the earliest.

I’m using the Harmony 650. There is some confusion on their site on the matter. The app that is available now replaces the MyHarmony app that required Microsoft Silverlight to work (good riddance to that!) and the download link only gives you the new version if you are on Catalina. Otherwise you get the old version. What’s coming in November is a replacement for the older 7.x software that supports much older remotes.

The new app that I’m using looks a whole lot different, but appears to be fully functional. I don’t know why it’s not supported on older macOS versions. Heck, maybe it does work. I’ll copy it off my MBA and try it out on my iMac running Mojave when i get a chance tomorrow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got a Harmony 950, Harmony Hub, and one of the other hub-based remotes. Until they release an update for the software, which is garbage IMHO, I'm stuck with the following options:

1. Use the IOS-based software to make changes
2. Use the Windows version of the software
3. Continue to run the software under Mojave

I'm not especially impressed with their support or software but I like their remotes. My only argument with the 950 is that the IR emitter in that remote isn't especially good. Unless it is pointed almost directly at my receiver the receiver does not change inputs reliably.

H

honestone33

hmmmm. Hearing problem re MS Office 2016, can anyone confirm that it works on Catalina?

Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps lists it as a ??? at the moment.

G

That would mean it has not been verified to be compatible with Catalina. You'll have to keep checking to see if and when it becomes compatible (will most likely require downloading an update.

Do you have any other third party software? If you do, make sure all of them are compatible before going to Catalina.

By the way, I appreciate the post. I just looked at that link, and so far, VLC, Transmission, LibreOffice, and 1Password are compatible with Catalina. Some other ones I use, SuperDuper!, Tech Tool Pro, EasyFind, Quicken 2017, Onyx, and ApCleaner, are not yet compatible. But except for TechTool Pro (which will most likely be later on), I expect the other ones to be compatible soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
G

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got a Harmony 950, Harmony Hub, and one of the other hub-based remotes. Until they release an update for the software, which is garbage IMHO, I'm stuck with the following options:

1. Use the IOS-based software to make changes
2. Use the Windows version of the software
3. Continue to run the software under Mojave

I'm not especially impressed with their support or software but I like their remotes. My only argument with the 950 is that the IR emitter in that remote isn't especially good. Unless it is pointed almost directly at my receiver the receiver does not change inputs reliably.

The new app supports the 950. For the hub-based remotes, from reading their support page, it looks like they have no intentions of providing a desktop-based update and instead are sticking with smartphone apps.

Important message: macOS to no longer support 32 bit applications – Logitech Support + Download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some others, VirtualBox, TrainerRoad, VLC, iSkysoft Video Converter, iTube Studio, appCleaner, Cyberduck, Cisco VPN, Docker, Goland, Pycharm, MS Remote Desktop, qBitTorrent, Skype, VNCViewer, WhatsApp, etc

The biggest work critical that I need to work immediately is MS Office though, the others I can imagine will get updates in the first week so can life with waiting for them.

Just hoping someone on here has MSOffice 2016 and can confirm they've upgraded and it works.
G

I can vouch for VirtualBox and App Cleaner. Both appear to work flawlessly for me.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.

Reaction score
Just got this from a friend:
For office you need : office 365 OR office 2019 OR office 2016 v15.35 or later.
Office 2011 will never work

I'm running office 16.16.14 so all seems good. will take the chance shortly, have the dmg downloaded, going into a long meeting so will start it as I walk to meeting and hopefully have a nice new OS when I get back.

G

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

G

Hi georgelza,

I'm assuming from your posts that you have NOT yet upgraded to macOS Catalina? If MS Office 2016 is work critical, and if I'm not being impudent, what's the rush? Why not stay with your current Operating System until the dust settles, so to speak?

Better to stick with a fully operational Operating System than take risks with a new System that is still in its infancy:)

Ian

Reaction score
Hi all

Upgrade done,
OneNote 16.16.14, Word 16.16.14 and Excel 16.16.14 As part of Office 2016 all good.

I do have some icons showing up with "no entry" signs over them, will look and report later.

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that page. I had seen the page which basically outlined the option to keep using Mojave.

I've had the IOS app on my phone and iPad for several months now. As I mentioned I find their support a bit poor and the site is somewhat confusing. The 950 was working a bit more reliably than it is now but something borked up and I haven't gotten t working to the wife's satisfaction yet.

You aren't kidding about their support being poor. Just the fact that their software required Microsoft Silverlight was weak. And dragging their feet on doing a proper Mac app for so long despite MS announcing they were discontinuing Silverlight in... let's see... 2012! And Apple firing warning shots about deprecating 32-bit support for over 2 years now. It's shameful. Wanna know what else is crazy? The old app couldn't be quit using CMD-Q. Not even assigning the key commands in the keyboard preferences panel would do the trick... no surprise there since it wasn't a Mac-native app. Now, you'd think they'd have the command working in the new app since it's Mac-native, but nooooo.... the keyboard command isn't there, BUT! You can add it via the Keyboard prefs. It's crazy!

Anywho, I tried running the new app on Mojave but no dice. It firmly requires 10.15+.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.