MacOS- App update page in HTML format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 iMac- High Sierra
I am currently running MacOS high Sierra on a Mid 2011 iMac. For the past 6 months, when I select the App icon and go to updates on the top, the page is in a HTML format. The other tabs in the APPs program display correctly.

I have worked with my Antivirus support team(bitdefender) and Apple support with no resolution. I have also searched on line and various forum sites to no avail.
Reaching out to see if I can get help here.

Has anyone seen this and have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Has anyone seen this and have any suggestions?

I am not understanding exactly what you are doing to end up with the problem you are seeing.

Are you trying to access the Apple App Store or the Apple Software Updates or what?

I'm not even sure what the APPs program is that you refer to. Sorry to be such a dummy, and I don't want to start guessing. 😉

MacOS High Sierra on a Mid-2011 iMac is as far as you can normally go, just in case you didn't know.

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick,
Yes. Correct. The apps page and more specifically the apple update page see attachments below.. Untitled.jpeg Untitled 2.jpeg App window.jpeg

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. The iMac won't update any further than High Sierra. I went all through that with Apple.
We also tried removing all the Bitdefender modules no impact. Also with Apple, we checked permissions, repaired permissions, etc.
I have done nothing with the mac except do all the updates as required through apple updates app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not see anything wrong with your Apple Software Update page and that is typically how previous updates would show on my old Mavericks 10.9 and my wife's El Capitan 10.11. It is just showing the applications that were updated within the last 30 days on your Mac.

Maybe things are different with later Mac OS versions, I don't know as I can't check but I would doubt if there was really that much difference.

What were you actually expecting and is it displaying differently now than it was before???

BTW: I and possibly several others will probably mention and confirm that you normally do not normally need Antivirus for Mac or any antivirus application for that matter and it can possibly be goofing up your system and causing you problems. I'd delete and Trash it completely with a Mac app delete type application software or use its uninstall or removal tool if they have one. They are often found within the application package itself.
Right-click on the application icon to possibly locate one if it was included.

And the same thing applies to the BitDefender application you seem to have installed as well.

And possibly having multiple A-V applications working on your Mac at the same time, I would hate to think what they could do in combination besides slowing down your Mac to a crawl and other goof-ups!!! 😉

EDIT:
Ouch, I just did a quick check of Bitdefender at Macupdate.com and not too surprised it gets a rating of 1.0, check out some of the user comments...

Antivirus for Mac.app will probably be about the same... I didn't bother checking...

Get rid of them both and anything else similar you might have hiding on your Mac would be my beneficial advice. And I'll bet you will see your Mac speed improve.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bitdefender program it self doesn't impact speed for me. That looks to be the major issue is slowing the computer down. As I mentioned in my last post, we completely deinstalled the bitdefender program module by module to see if anything changes. It did not.
This is what I shoiuld be seeing via attachment below.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpeg
    Untitled 2.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I am trying to fix on this attachment. See the difference? The current screen is set up in an HTML format.

Attachments

• App window.jpeg
    App window.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 18

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The App Store app has changed the way it displays since High Sierra. However, it never has displayed in an HTML format. For some reason your App Store app is messed up.

Here's what I suggest: Start your Mac in Safe Mode, then open the App Store app. Let's see if it continues to display as HTML. There is something that you have installed or is installed that is affecting the App Store app. Safe mode should eliminate it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We did that with the apple tech and in safe mode, the view was the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We did that with the apple tech and in safe mode, the view was the same.

Do you have another admin "testuser" user you could log and boot into and see how that page displays???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
High Sierra OS X.13.6 is as high as your iMac can go so there will be no more updates if you are up to this. For the others updates will be available from the developpers web sites.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried a test admin account and all other accounts on my machine. View is still in HTML

Harry, where would i find a developer site that may be helpful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@tltellefsen
I tried a test admin account and all other accounts on my machine. View is still in HTML

Well tltellefsen, it seems that there is good news and that is you are not the only one experiencing the problem!!

Have a look here:
Monday, 12 April 2021 00:00 | Written by Bradley Taylor | E-mail

If you try to update some Mac applications in Mac App Store in the last few days, are you surprised or untrustworthy when you see strange App Store pages with strange HTML and missing CSS formatting? Don’t worry, you’re not the only one. Many Macs with macOS High Sierra and earlier versions of macOS have encountered this problem. First of all, the AppStore update page is safe. If you can see the update button on the right, you can still click it to upgrade the app.

And if you need more hits and possible solutions, try here:

So it doesn't seem as though there is something on your Mac directly causing the problem, but I didn't read the whole solution. But no real cause for alarm I would say... 😉

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think Patrick may be on to something. If I remember correctly, after High Sierra (macOS 10.13.X) Apple changed the way the App Store app displayed updates. They also changed update history.

I'm not sure reinstalling High Sierra will solve the problem. I would leave well enough alone as long as the Mac App Store app is working.

I would try the suggestions given in the link that Patrick posted. Let us know.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are right, Charlie. When I access the App Store for any updates to apps using my 2008 MB Pro, the pages look like they do for the OP. I'm on either High Siera or ElCapitan on that machine.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think you are right, Charlie. When I access the App Store for any updates to apps using my 2008 MB Pro, the pages look like they do for the OP. I'm on either High Siera or ElCapitan on that machine.

Me too. On my older iMac (late 2015), which I keep on macOS High Sierra for special work I have to do, the App Store has looked like this for a considerable time. It works perfectly, so I've never bothered about it ;) :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just type the software name in the URL address bar. For CleanMyMac start with macpaw.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
BTW: I and possibly several others will probably mention and confirm that you normally do not normally need Antivirus for Mac or any antivirus application for that matter and it can possibly be goofing up your system and causing you problems. I'd delete and Trash it completely with a Mac app delete type application software or use its uninstall or removal tool if they have one. They are often found within the application package itself.
Right-click on the application icon to possibly locate one if it was included.

And the same thing applies to the BitDefender application you seem to have installed as well.

And possibly having multiple A-V applications working on your Mac at the same time, I would hate to think what they could do in combination besides slowing down your Mac to a crawl and other goof-ups!!!

LOL! Literally what I was going to point out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just type the software name in the URL address bar. For CleanMyMac start with macpaw.com.

Say Harry. Is that your suggestion for cleaning out or uninstalling some application software or a recommendation to download or update CleanMyMac or any of the other macpaw.com software???

Actually, I've had CleanMyMac fix a problem on my iMac that nothing else seemed to be able to touch. But one must use it wisely and carefully, just like many other Mac utilities. I just don't find it's as bad as many members seem to cast it as being.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I've had CleanMyMac fix a problem on my iMac that nothing else seemed to be able to touch. But one must use it wisely and carefully, just like many other Mac utilities. I just don't find it's as bad as many members seem to cast it as being.

I'll further define what you said: CMM can be useful if used by a savvy person; one who understands what needs to be cleaned and or removed. The problem with CMM is that it's marketed as the "fix all" and used mostly by novice Mac owners. That can lead to disaster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.