Not open for further replies.
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before canceling out, try rebooting and see if it resumes the installation. You shouldn't lose the download that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
Rebooting did not resume the installation. Cancelled all out and deleted the download. All is as before the terminal process was started. Was looking forward to 12.1 hopefully fixing some annoying bug issues from Monterey 12.01. Maybe I will re-attempt the terminal process in a day or two or the update will appear in system preferences...one can hope. Just very disappointed in the whole update process and availability/download process for 12.1.
I really appreciate your help, guidance and advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Rather than the terminal process, try getting Silent Knight from here: Using SilentKnight to download updates

The creator says that running it will occasionally trigger the update to appear in Sys Prefs when it had not previously been there. His caution, in the article, is NOT to download large updates through SilentKnight, but to check for updates, then get it through SysPrefs.

Reactions: IWT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The install finally progressed to 31 minutes left with the bar only half way done. After three more hours it still sits at 31 minutes. Something is not right. I shut it down for now. I can wait. I do not really want to erase and reinstall Monterey.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update..my nephew, without my knowledge attempted to reinstall Monterey through recovery. When I found out I had him halt the process and have the MBP back to where it once was before he began. Later that night (early morning at the time) the MBP was rebooted and low and behold system preferences indicated a software update was available. Entered system preferences, software update and 12.1 was there. Download and install took about 30 minutes and all is well. Whether it corrects all previous bug issues remains to be seen. But as of now....all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having the same issues as the #WW4B. I did try SilentKnight and supposedly it installed all kinds of stuff but evidently iBoot firmware needs an update.
SilentKnight1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you click on the "SilentKnight" on the top bar of the screen, then make sure "Install Updates" is checked, SK should try to update the firmware for you. It is also available under the "File" menu item.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you click on the "SilentKnight" on the top bar of the screen, then make sure "Install Updates" is checked, SK should try to update the firmware for you. It is also available under the "File" menu item.
I don't believe it will download and update firmware. This is what it says:

SilentKnight can only do what’s supported by the softwareupdate command. To be explicit, SilentKnight can’t:

• download software which isn’t already listed by SilentKnight as being available;
  • download an update which Apple hasn’t yet released;
  • download a firmware update;
  • update your Mac’s firmware;
  • download the full installer of any version of macOS;
  • save downloaded updates to macOS in any usable form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firmware updates are usually embedded with the OS updates, or have been in the past. Although SK can't update the firmware directly, I think it can trigger the firmware update to happen if the user has it set to automatically do that in System Preferences. SK doesn't DO the update, but the system is aware of the update being available and the regular process kicks in. I think I read that at Eclectic Light.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was my thought also. Lisa remarked that she needed a firmware update for iBoot, but generally firmware updates are included with macOS updates. Firmware updates for other devices may be driven differently, even over the air while the device is on line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so I have tried all kinds of things. Nothing is working. So I decided since my laptop was having issue doing a simple restart I would run Onyx. It finished and restarted fast. First thing to pop up was a notification that an update was available - 12.1. So I click on it and software updates popped up and said I was up to date with 12.0.1. I ran Onyx again and got the same results. This is majorly weird.

I am not sure if I should just wait or try to do a recovery install. If I do that I will have to do that at work as my home internet, while better, is not as fast as at work.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the update available in System Preferences/Software update? Never mind the links, or popups, that is the usual place for updates to appear. To trigger it to re-check for updates, click on Advanced, then OK and it will start another search.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's definitely something else going on if Software Update keeps telling you that you're up to date. I suspect you're going to wind up doing a recovery install. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried what Jake suggested and nothing. I think a reinstall is in order. Will post back when I know more.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Attempted the reinstall but cancelled the process about 20 minutes in, rebooted the MBP and system preference immediately indicated software update was available. Download and install took about 30 minutes. All is well now. Also seemed to fix the trackpad touch to click issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I woke up this morning and noticed the red #1 had appeared showing the 12.1 update. Downloading now. We shall see how this goes. Hopefully my impatience has been the issue and all goes well.

Lisa

Reactions: IWT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FINALLY! I had to go into work to pick up some stuff so I took my MBP M1 with me. I restarted it and the update appeared, downloaded (+3GB!) and installed. Took about an hour download plus install. Everything seems to be working fine and the trackpad may just be a bit more responsive.

So what I have I learned from this lesson? To be Patient and Wait for it to show in updates. Don't force the issue. ;)

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Good show Jake. And credit to the great Apple service. Still the best. :)
Not if you live in the UK. Bought my my MacBook Air at PC world £200 cheaper than Apple, but Apple have always refused to help. I was going to buy AppleCare+ but refused to sell me it as I was 2 days late, as in hospital with cancer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Not if you live in the UK.
You must have been really unlucky.

In my household we have two iPhones, an iPad and two iMacs none were bought direct from Apple but we have never had any issues with support from Apple when needed.

By the way this thread is about 3 months old ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Been a Mac user since 1992, first Mac was LC III, 2 MB Ram, 160 MB Hard Drive. Running on System &.6 Never had any trouble in those days. However, now Apple are too big for their shoes, no sooner do I get to know one system, then along pops another, either a minor or major one. In my opinion Apple UK started going down when Brian O' Reilly left as Apple Tech Support Manager. Never ever thought of buying off PC World, but got my
MacBook Retina air for £200 cheaper than Apple and they can fix Macs every bit as good as Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.