macOS 11.3.1 is now available for download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please backup first.

Apple says that this update is critical for security and should be installed by everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
But but but..... I just got the last one installed! Sigh...

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe macOS 11.3.4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Anyone else finding that this update seems to be slowing down a lot of sites? Especially forums. Maybe some new checks against scripting?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problem here. The update was quite large for just a security addition. (~2.43 GB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Indeed. I took nearly an hour to download and install on my new M1 MCP. Still experiencing severe lag on forum sites, though. Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No problem her on my 2015 MPB, nor on my wife's M1 Mini. Is the lag on all sites, or just some? Have you tried running a test a speedtest.net?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And of course, those of us with CCC have had to erase the EHD and start over twice within as many weeks - thank heaven for Samsung T7.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to have been a Firefox issue, maybe. Firefox updated this morning and now there is no more lag.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to have been a Firefox issue, maybe. Firefox updated this morning and now there is no more lag.

The good old Firefox update of the week does it again. ;) I have never seen a browser with so many updates and fixes as with Firefox. Maybe that's a good thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think so. Bugs happen. I'd prefer they be fixed quickly rather than ignored for months until there's a huge outcry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Guys & Gals - just to be a 'luddite' in these major Apple transitions, i.e. Big Sur & M1 hardware, I've still not migrated my MBAir or my wife's 'new' iMac to Big Sur - the irritating number of updates to the macOS and the issues w/ M1 regarding CCC backups (which I use) have delayed my purchase of a new MI laptop to replace what I own and also going to Big Sur - not sure how much longer Apple will support my current Catalina OS but I'll be 'waiting in the wings' for these issues to sort out to my satisfaction - getting too old I guess to go through these almost weekly vexations - SORRY, just blowing off some steam. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys & Gals - just to be a 'luddite' in these major Apple transitions, i.e. Big Sur & M1 hardware, I've still not migrated my MBAir or my wife's 'new' iMac to Big Sur - the irritating number of updates to the macOS and the issues w/ M1 regarding CCC backups (which I use) have delayed my purchase of a new MI laptop to replace what I own and also going to Big Sur - not sure how much longer Apple will support my current Catalina OS but I'll be 'waiting in the wings' for these issues to sort out to my satisfaction - getting too old I guess to go through these almost weekly vexations - SORRY, just blowing off some steam. Dave :)
I understand, but let me tell you that my wife's new M1 mini is a screaming machine! The performance kick over her older Intel mini is astounding. As for CCC (and SD!), the only problem is that while you *can* create a bootable backup like you used to do, the architecture of the system-on-a-chip (SoC) in the M1 system means that the use case for a bootable backup is reduced. If you need to restore because of a data corruption that isn't hardware related, you can still do that. But if the M1 hardware fails, a bootable backup won't allow that M1 system to boot (logical when you think of it, the "drive" is integrated to the CPU/GPU/etc of the SoC and all of the "storage" is available to any and all processes when needed). In the Intel machines, unless the "drive" was soldered to the motherboard, you could have a drive fail and just boot from the external backup, then order a replacement drive and when it arrives, clone back from the external to the new internal and be back as it was. That swapping is not available in the SoC approach.

As for the frustration about how BS changed CCCs solution, that is not likely to go away soon, unless Apple really surprises me and fixes the asr process that is broken. However, if you don't use Safety Net, it's relatively easy to "fix" the issue when you get a system upgrade by erasing the backup and doing a full new backup when the system does change. A bit of a PITA because of the time it takes, but functionally you end up in the same place. On an Intel machine with BS, you can boot externally just as you could before. On a new M1 system, you can boot externally, I have read, as long as the SoC doesn't have a failure. I haven't tried to boot from an external on my wife's M1 Mini as all she uses is TM for backups.

All of our Macs are on Big Sur. That's three Intel (2 x MBP, 1 mini) and one M1 mini. It's working well on all of them with all four using Time Machine and two of them using CCC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Jake for your usually thorough and excellent comments; my 3 Macs are working fine under Catalina (the older MBPro cannot be taken to Big Sur, so only a issue w/ two) - wife's iMac (Intel) is still under AppleCare and is working fine for her - will likely take it to Big Sur later in the year.

As to the new M1 SoC, don't know if I like the idea of being an early adapter in this 'Apple transition' - will wait to see when the next version in a laptop is coming out - at the moment, my computers all work fine w/ no need for more speed - I suspect by fall, I will have gone to Big Sur and possibly have a new laptop w/ the next M1 iteration? Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to the new M1 SoC, don't know if I like the idea of being an early adapter in this 'Apple transition' - will wait to see when the next version in a laptop is coming out - at the moment, my computers all work fine w/ no need for more speed - I suspect by fall, I will have gone to Big Sur and possibly have a new laptop w/ the next M1 iteration?

That's also my thinking. I'd like to replace my iMac with something newer and faster but am not willing to buy one of the new 24" models. Very likely they're faster than my current iMac but to me it would be a downgrade going from a 27" 5K display to a 24" 4K display.

Also, since Apple has decided that thinner and lighter is better, the new iMacs come with a separate external power supply. And if you want an ethernet connector, it's now been placed on that external PS as an option.

Progress?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very likely they're faster than my current iMac but to me it would be a downgrade going from a 27" 5K display to a 24" 4K display.

Oh, I do so agree. Once you’ve got used to a 27 inch 5K iMac, anything smaller and/or of lower resolution is not for me.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The good old Firefox update of the week does it again. ;) I have never seen a browser with so many updates and fixes as with Firefox. Maybe that's a good thing?

+1, even though FF is not my main default browser, and it's unfortunate that Apple doesn't update their Safari browser other than just with an OS update or upgrade.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's also my thinking. I'd like to replace my iMac with something newer and faster but am not willing to buy one of the new 24" models. Very likely they're faster than my current iMac but to me it would be a downgrade going from a 27" 5K display to a 24" 4K display.

Also, since Apple has decided that thinner and lighter is better, the new iMacs come with a separate external power supply. And if you want an ethernet connector, it's now been placed on that external PS as an option.

Progress?
Given the new iMac design, and the lack of an Ethernet port, I think I would probably get a new Mini instead, then get a good monitor to go with it. The Mini has Ethernet, Two TB/USB4, two USB-A, HDMI, and a headphone jack. The beauty of the old iMac design was the ports on the back and the big screen. To go thin, Apple did away with those ports or moved them to the power supply. Frankly, the mini looks really good for a workstation.

What I want is a bigger screen M1 MBP (16"?). My 15" mid-2015 is going to be 7 this year. Time to retire it, methinks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.