Macintosh HD Snapshots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
This may be a dumb question but need some insight on the following. In browsing through my macbook I have noticed that there is a "snapshot" of the HD that I do not recall ever seeing before in disk utility. I recall only seeing under disk utility Macintosh HD and Macintosh Data. Now there is Macintosh HD with a drop down box which lists Macintosh HD Snapshot which is attached. What is this and should I just leave it alone ? Can it be deleted? Where did this come from or has it always been there and I have never noticed it before ! Excuse the ignorance but learning as I go along... Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.41.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 7.54.18 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snapshots are taken of your SSD drive by Time Machine. Also if you happen to be using Carbon Copy Cloner for backups, that application will also take snapshots.

You should leave them alone as the system will remove them if they are taking up too much room on the SSD drive. You can manually delete them several different ways: By running OnyX or from a Terminal command.

Snapshots are a good thing to have as they can be used to restore your data if something should happen to it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. Just curious as to how the snapshot materialized as I do not use Time machine !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, I should have also mentioned that local snapshots are taken as a feature of the new APFS format used by Apple since 10.14.X (Mojave).

They will be taken and stored on your drive even if you do not use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. Read this article:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
From your images, you are booted from something other than the internal, normal boot drive. Be very careful mucking with the internal drive using APFS when booted that way. You can see things that normally the system will not display when you are booted and you can do real damage to the system if you don't know what they are and delete or edit them.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I booting correctly than? Is there something I need to do to make sure I am booting from the normal internal boot drive. Or is all well and just leave well enough alone.
This was just something I have noticed that I never saw before and only really noticed it after Big Sur.
What would you advise I do ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I booting correctly than? Is there something I need to do to make sure I am booting from the normal internal boot drive. Or is all well and just leave well enough alone.
This was just something I have noticed that I never saw before and only really noticed it after Big Sur.
What would you advise I do ?
Let me retract that comment. I was concerned that I couldn't see the Volume on which your own data is written. But I get it's there but the name is truncated. In Disk Utility you can see both Volumes on the Boot Drive. One is named "Macintosh HD" by default and the other is "Macintosh HD - Data." I suspect the rest of the names are just cut off by the column width.

So, don't do anything, you are booted correctly. My bad.

EDIT: BTW, the Finder and other system viewers show Macintosh HD as a "single" drive because they merge those two Volumes into one to make it look the same as it always has. However, the "Macintosh HD" volume is read only, and in Big Sur, even encrypted, to prevent any malicious software from messing with the system files.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for helping me understand. Yes there is both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data.
Just wondered where the Macintosh HD Snapshot (second image) came from and how it came to be !
Spitballing here, but what would happen if the Macintosh HD (1st image) was mounted.
Is there a way to only show one Macintosh HD and one Macintosh HD - Data as it was before. Can they (the two images as shown) become as one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little tutorial on Apple's new disk format, called APFS. Before APFS, the hardware was divided into Partitions, and each Partition was then formatted as needed. But it was hard to change the size of a Partition, and for the most part, it was destructive, that is, the data on the drive was lost as the partition was resized. There were tools to allow resizing partitions, but most were, to me, risky to use. When Apple rebuilt a new file structure, they designed it to work efficiently with SSD hardware, using the ability to randomly access the memory cells quickly to allow for faster operations. As an aside, that same approach makes APFS actually slower on rotating drives, so one has to be thoughtful before moving to APFS on a rotating drive.

OK, so what do we have now? Well, the hardware is divided into what are called Containers. At the creating of a Container you define how large the Container is to be. The default is the entire drive, but you can have more than one Container on a physical drive if you want. You may not want that, however, because of the next division. In the Container are one or more Volumes, each of which may be mounted as a drive on the system. But for Catalina and Big Sur, the operating system creates two Volumes, by default named Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. The two Volumes are merged by Finder and by the system to appear to the user to be one Volume, a view that matches what was visible previously, one Partition named Macintosh HD. At the root level of the drive are four folders--System, Applications, Library and Users. Of those, three, (System, Applications and Library) are on Macintosh HD and Users is on Macintosh HD - Data. The System Volume is read only and maybe encrypted, as I said earlier. The Data Volume is where all of the user accounts are kept and are read and write enabled to the users just as before.

The Snapshot is written into the System Volume, and is therefore both read-only and maybe even encrypted for security. Normally you won't see it as it is a system file and you don't have access to it.

Your question was:
what would happen if the Macintosh HD (1st image) was mounted.
Is there a way to only show one Macintosh HD and one Macintosh HD - Data as it was before. Can they (the two images as shown) become as one.
The answer Macintosh HD *is* mounted already, and the Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data already show as ONE drive to the system for the user use (Finder, etc). So, the "can they become as one" is definitely YES and it's how the system handles it.

Sorry for the length of the "little" tutorial, but APFS is a totally new way Apple has created to format and display the hardware of SSD drives.

Did that cover it?

EDIT: I forgot to add that another new wrinkle is that ALL of the Volumes in a Container share the free space in the Container. So, if you make the Container the entire drive, then any and all Volumes have access to all of the free space on the drive. And, you can create/erase/delete Volumes dynamically and not impact the other Volumes or the Container, so the old problem of resizing a partition doesn't exist. One limitation is that you cannot amend the drive from which you are booted, so when booted from the internal, you cannot delete Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data. However, you can certainly create another Volume in that container if you decide you want to. DU can do that with just a few keystrokes.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake for the tutorial. I was just wondering if I could, when opening disk utility, have only the following displayed without the Com.Apple.OS.Update as in the attached image. Is that possible ?
Apple SSD AP0256JMedia
Container disk 1
Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD - Data
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 10.47.49 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that Volume was probably created by the System and is being shown on the Macintosh HD Volume, so it cannot be altered in any way. As I said, in normal use, you won't see that Volume anywhere other than DU, so don't worry about it.

May I ask why you don't want it to show in Disk Utility?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really not an issue. I just get set in my ways of seeing and doing things. Noticed things were different looking in DU and curiosity got me asking as to the how's and why's it came to be. Just not used to seeing it that way in DU. This crazy world just has me questioning everything nowadays. If you advise all is good than thats good enough for me
Again, thanks for the insight, guidance and knowledge. Have a great happy, safe and healthy new year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And to you. If WW4B is a callsign, then 73s to you from W1HRE.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WW4B...walks with four balls, this is my fantasy baseball team name.
Also, is Winchester far from Hopewell, I have family there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopewell is south of Richmond about 160 miles from me. Winchester is in the far northern corner of Virginia, just 13 miles from West Virginia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.