MacBookPro seems to be almost full, yet it shouldn't be.

Reaction score
Hi.

I've removed much of the clutter on my MBPro this evening, though I am seeing 40Gb of iTunes stuff (can I just drag the contents off to an offboard HD ?).

It is a 250 GB HD, and normally, once I've copied all the desktop folders onto offboard HD's, I have over 100GB to play with.

Now I have less than 50GB.

Is there a logical way to asses what is taking up what amount of space?

Is there a programme I can run which will free-up space - the PC runs a defrag' programme I seem to recall (?)

Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't bother with defrag programs (especially with SSD/flash drives). AFAIK the manufacturers don't recommend it.

As far as helpful utilities, give Grand Perspective a try. It will show a graphic representation of the drive with different types of files in different blocks of color. The larger a block is the more space the corresponding files use. It can also show you the path to the file in case you want to remove it. Warning Will Robinson: Make a backup of your data before deleting anything.

You can move your iTunes content to an external drive. See here for an example.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.