MacbookAir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
I have a MacBookAir running El Capitan.

Airplay mirroring was fine, before upgrading from Yosemite, however it's now gone. The Airplay icon shows
as 'off' and is greyed out, with no option to turn to 'on' I've scoured the internet and seen others with the same problem but no solution, having
tried all the suggestions, there is nothing that works.

Apple Tv2 is up to date as is El Capitan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this working.

Best Regards

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

C

chas_m

If there's an Apple Store near you, I'd take it in and have them look at it.

If not, I'd have to suggest first creating a separate new (admin) account and test to see if AirPlay is still non-functional in that account. If it works, then there's something in your account that's interfering with it. If it doesn't work even in a pristine account, I'd have to suggest a clean reinstall of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Brendan

I have the same model MBA.

If I click on the airplay icon in the menu bar then the option "AirPlay: Off" is greyed out. Nothing happens if I click on it.

However the option "Apple TV" is not (it is white). When I click on that, the MBA enters mirroring mode and clicking on the airplay icon again gives me the option to switch airplay off.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
NickyR

Thank you

I've only one option AirPlay Off and greyed out. It looks like a trip to the Apple Store.

Best

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try rebooting the AppleTV - I may have also had to go into the AppleTV and sign out of my AppleID and then sign back in - seems I remember some issue I had and one of those fixed it.

That's the only option because it is not finding an Airplay capable device - the issue is usually on the device end, not the computer.

You can check that by going into the "Displays" preferences and checking out the 'AirPlay Display' and see if it is showing the AppleTV.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Thanks again.

I've rebooted and reset a few times.

Signed in and out.

Restored the device through Apple TV and through ITunes.

Still no AirPlay greyed out in the menu bar or in displays where it's also greyed out and "0ff"

I suspect El Capitan as it was working perfectly before the upgrade.

Best

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have the same generation MacBook Air running El Capitan and have no issue with Airplay and my 2nd gen AppleTV at this time.

There was something broke (or the default is turned off) after the upgrade though and I really don't remember what I did that got it working.

Does the AppleTV see your computer?

Another thing to try - turn Home Sharing off and back on - in iTunes and the AppleTV.

Just a FYI: The "Airplay: Off" is always grayed out as it's not a selectable option, it's only information.
When it's not "Off" it turns into a selectable option of "Turn AirPlay Off" and your AppleTV will be listed as "Airplay: Name of your AppleTV" and it will be grayed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.