macbookair monitor calibration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbair 13"(mid 2013) Yosemite,iphone4
Hello, hello. I use my mbair in editing my photographs . However, I think i need to calibrate the monitor :). Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to without using any calibration tool. Please help :| Thanks.Sher

C

chas_m

1. Open System Preferences.
2. Open Display
3. Click the "Color" tab
4. Click the "Calibrate" tab
5. Follow directions.

Reaction score
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Open Display
3. Click the "Color" tab
4. Click the "Calibrate" tab
5. Follow directions.

This calibration unfortunately won't give you reliable results, as you do it with your eyes, which can't "measure" colors objectively.

Therefore you need a hardware sensor as a spyder for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
You need to have a really awesome eye, or buy a screen calibrater. Isn't no real way around it unless you just try to guess the best you can.

Now I have mine set to Adobe RGB (1998) profile. That will at least get the output from the computer close, you still may have to adjust the gamma. But then your going to have to manually adjust your screen. Which you can't do on the MBA anyway.. So...

But just FYI, by default the MBA screen is very very close anyway.. However its still 8 bit display. If you really want color accuracy then you need to purchase a pro quality display that has at least 12 bit pixel color depth.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, after reading your replies, i think i will just have to be contented with what my screen can do for now. hehe. thanks anyways guys.
Salamat. Sher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
well, after reading your replies, i think i will just have to be contented with what my screen can do for now. hehe. thanks anyways guys.
Salamat. Sher

Hey Sher, keep in mind you can always get an external monitor later on. The built in display isn't bad. You can get a calibration tool that comes with software and is used to properly calibrate your display. But unless you get paid professionally, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I know it can be difficult to get a really good display here in the Philippines. Apple offering about the best you can get unless you can order from somewhere else. I live down here in Mindanao and eh... Its a pain to get anything worth a crap. I ended up having to go to Davao to just get 2x 23" Samsung displays that I am using now. Most everything else up here in Butuan was AOC brand or 720p crap. I have ordered a professional display form home in the states that I am getting sent here. But unless you got a hook up, the apple displays are about the best and largest you can get here. If you live up in Luzon close to Manila, I am sure you may be able to get a decent display, but that part of the Phils is more normalized then the rest of it.

C

chas_m

I must have an awesome eye, apparently, because I've been calibrating monitors by eye for 20 years (former pro graphic artist) and never had an issue with printers. Obviously, as mentioned, understanding the difference between a light-emitting device and a light-reflecting device, and all that.

But as noted by others, the MBA's calibration out of the box is generally very, very good and shouldn't need serious adjustment.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must have an awesome eye, apparently, because I've been calibrating monitors by eye for 20 years (former pro graphic artist) and never had an issue with printers. Obviously, as mentioned, understanding the difference between a light-emitting device and a light-reflecting device, and all that.

But as noted by others, the MBA's calibration out of the box is generally very, very good and shouldn't need serious adjustment.

oh, okay.thanks for that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sher, keep in mind you can always get an external monitor later on. The built in display isn't bad. You can get a calibration tool that comes with software and is used to properly calibrate your display. But unless you get paid professionally, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I know it can be difficult to get a really good display here in the Philippines. Apple offering about the best you can get unless you can order from somewhere else. I live down here in Mindanao and eh... Its a pain to get anything worth a crap. I ended up having to go to Davao to just get 2x 23" Samsung displays that I am using now. Most everything else up here in Butuan was AOC brand or 720p crap. I have ordered a professional display form home in the states that I am getting sent here. But unless you got a hook up, the apple displays are about the best and largest you can get here. If you live up in Luzon close to Manila, I am sure you may be able to get a decent display, but that part of the Phils is more normalized then the rest of it.

Im from Iloilo so its probably the same thing from where you are :). Anyways, i'll try to remember these when I get to be pro :$... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im from Iloilo so its probably the same thing from where you are :). Anyways, i'll try to remember these when I get to be pro :$... thanks

Ahh I know were that is, actually gonna try to visit that region by next summer.. This summer were going to go to Bohol and visit the Chocolate Hills/Mountains or what ever its called.. LOL.. But should make a few great photos..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a very simple outlook on this.. I work in a colour managed environment.. however.. it's because I'm sending to print. So basically I think it rolls like this..

Sending to Print? Colour calibrate.
Making images for the net? Don't even bother.

Most peoples monitors are not calibrated, so truly colour managed images will look off frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a very simple outlook on this.. I work in a colour managed environment.. however.. it's because I'm sending to print. So basically I think it rolls like this..

Sending to Print? Colour calibrate.
Making images for the net? Don't even bother.

Most peoples monitors are not calibrated, so truly colour managed images will look off frequently.

Agree, I however sell images that are used for Print. Plus I take and edit portraits that go to print. So color calibration it is..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Agree, I however sell images that are used for Print. Plus I take and edit portraits that go to print. So color calibration it is..

Agreed, and then if possible.. calibrated to the printers settings. I really miss the days of silver halide in that regard, printing to match what I wanted was so much more satisfying in a darkroom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.