Macbook woes

Reaction score
I have a Macbook 2,1 (OSX 10.6.2 4GB RAM 250GB HDD) that has been extremely slow after every boot. The problem seems to be after any boot there is a period of 5-20 mins where I get nothing but beachballs and freezing apps.

I have run both memtest and the Apple Hardware Diagnostics extended test(both came back no errors), I have also reinstalled OSX 10.6. Nothing seems to be helping. I have tried swapping in different RAM chips and testing each chip individually. I have also been searching the web and I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution. Most others seem to either have a slow boot or slow all the time. My problem is that it boots fine but is slow for some amount of time until and then speed up to where I would expect it to be.

I have nothing on my desktop I do not have anything suspicious running at boot and using 'top' I find nothing taking up massive amounts of resources. If anyone has seen a solution or has suggestions that I can follow please let me know. If you can point me in the right direction I'd be more than happy to be on my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
I don't know if you just reinstalled 10.6 or did a clean install, which is the way I would have gone if reinstalling to test things out.
In preference to top, I'd go to activity monitor and have a look there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.