MacBook V.S. MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Thats not too bad if its single 2GB DIMMs. I paid about $55.00 for the 4GB kit I posted a link to at newegg.com a few months back though. Best Buy is just over priced on stuff like that because they don't sell a lot of it. Sometimes you can get a good deal if you get them on clearance though. Geek Squad is the biggest rip off in the world though. They couldn't pay me to even look at one of my computer because all the ones I've seen don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Reaction score
Thats not too bad if its single 2GB DIMMs. I paid about $55.00 for the 4GB kit I posted a link to at newegg.com a few months back though. Best Buy is just over priced on stuff like that because they don't sell a lot of it. Sometimes you can get a good deal if you get them on clearance though. Geek Squad is the biggest rip off in the world though. They couldn't pay me to even look at one of my computer because all the ones I've seen don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Well I think it was a sale item and they were kensington or some brand like that. I didn't think it was a bad price at considering I was buying them and coming home with them the same day, not waiting for shipping. Agreed on Geek Squad, I've never taken a computer in to have someone else fix it.

Reaction score
Definitely go with NewEgg. I just got a MBP and ordered RAM at 5 PM one day and it was at my doorstep the next day at 10AM with 3 Day UPS shipping. Also, it was only $95 for 4GB of lower latency RAM, which is a deal. Best Buy will eat you alive. Just install it yourself.

OP
O
Reaction score
Is it easy to install??? I'm so afraid to mess something up on this brand new laptop...

Reaction score
It's quite straightforward. There's even a step-by-step guide in your manual. There's also youtube. Sorry forgot the link.

Reaction score
I just got my Macbook yesterday! I got the white one with he 2.4ghz and smaller drive. I plan on putting a 320 gig drive in it and upgrading to 4gb of RAM and pay the same as the black one costs.

I love it so far!

OP
O
Reaction score
I went to Best Buy today and they were selling a piece of 2GB ram at $99. I was dumbfounded...

Where else can I go to buy RAM? I know I could buy it online, but I'm leaving for a vacation in 2 days so I can't wait on the shipping. What other retailers would sell RAM at a reasonable price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I went to Best Buy today and they were selling a piece of 2GB ram at $99. I was dumbfounded...

Where else can I go to buy RAM? I know I could buy it online, but I'm leaving for a vacation in 2 days so I can't wait on the shipping. What other retailers would sell RAM at a reasonable price?

In town, none, unless you can find some on sale somewhere. I am assuming you are in the conus since you have a Best Buy. If you order from newegg.com right now and choose rush order processing with next day delivery it will be there Thursday. That will probably be $100.00 total. Not as good as the normal $75.00 with free 3 day shipping but worth it if you need it now.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hmm...Maybe I'll just wait until I get back. I don't NEED the RAM now. Speaking of which, does it matter when extra RAM is installed? Is it better to install it during the early stages of using the computer, or does it not matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't matter. You probably won't even notice the difference with most uses such as email and web surfing. It will really help during video encoding, photoshop and other memory intensive tasks.

Reaction score
Oistrakh- Nope, not GTown. I didn't apply, but in I wish I did in hindsight. I doubt I could have got in though. I'm actually going to a smaller, lesser known liberal arts college called Lewis & Clark College. It is renowned for its International Studies program and its study abroad programs. I am, however, planning on GTown for graduate study.
ok, the reason why I asked was because I applied and got into GTown, but chose not to go because I'm not that interested in IR...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.