MacBook tragedy questions

Reaction score
So, after 7 short months with my beloved macbook my idiotic friend spilt beer all over it one night and needless to say, it bit the dust. I took it in and of course they found liquid damage and said the logic board was dead, so basically I was looking at the price of a new computer.
Several hundreds of $$ of student loans later I am bittersweetly proud to say that I am updating from my new macbook and will be keeping all forms of beverages (and idiotic friends) far, far away.
BUT...onto my real question...what to do with the old macbook who is just sitting in my room?
I had the hard drive taken out in the hopes that I can somehow get my pictures and thousands of songs off of it and put it on my new one. I thought about auctioning it off on ebay however I want to make sure that I don't let it go for less than it should. I realize that with a good for nothing logicboard and the hard drive out, it probably won't fetch very much, however I know lots of people out there can use some of its parts probably so was hoping someone could give me a ballpark figure to work with.
It's a 13.3'', 2.0 GHz intel core 2 duo processor, 1GB DDR SBRAM ,80 GB 5400-rpm hard drive.
Any advice is appreciated!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You need to carry a sharp pointy stick with you and poke people with liquids or foods when they get to close to your computer.

I think there is someone on this forums that buys broken MBs so I would try and get in contact with him/her and try and work something out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I hope your "beer drinking friend" offered to help you purchase a new machine..... About selling the MacBook - without a working logic board and hard drive, it's going to be a hard sell. Also, who knows what else is defective since the machine can't be turned on and tested?

What I would do if I were you, is keep the MacBook in case you should ever need parts from it yourself. For example - the LCD screen, DVD drive, wireless card, etc.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
To the OP:

I hope your "beer drinking friend" offered to help you purchase a new machine..... About selling the MacBook - without a working logic board and hard drive, it's going to be a hard sell. Also, who knows what else is defective since the machine can't be turned on and tested?

What I would do if I were you, is keep the MacBook in case you should ever need parts from it yourself. For example - the LCD screen, DVD drive, wireless card, etc.

Regards.
Agree! very good advice, not worth selling

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if a friend of mine broke a cd of mine, i'd expect them to replace it.

if a friend of mine accidentally hit my car and did 500 bucks worth of damage, i'd expect them, or their insurance company to pay for it.

in this case, you should get an estimate to replace the logic board, and have him reimburse you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
So, after 7 short months with my beloved macbook my idiotic friend spilt beer all over it one night and needless to say, it bit the dust. I took it in and of course they found liquid damage and said the logic board was dead, so basically I was looking at the price of a new computer.
Several hundreds of $$ of student loans later I am bittersweetly proud to say that I am updating from my new macbook and will be keeping all forms of beverages (and idiotic friends) far, far away.
BUT...onto my real question...what to do with the old macbook who is just sitting in my room?
I had the hard drive taken out in the hopes that I can somehow get my pictures and thousands of songs off of it and put it on my new one. I thought about auctioning it off on ebay however I want to make sure that I don't let it go for less than it should. I realize that with a good for nothing logicboard and the hard drive out, it probably won't fetch very much, however I know lots of people out there can use some of its parts probably so was hoping someone could give me a ballpark figure to work with.
It's a 13.3'', 2.0 GHz intel core 2 duo processor, 1GB DDR SBRAM ,80 GB 5400-rpm hard drive.
Any advice is appreciated!!

I have a MacBook Pro and just got it back from Apple Repair due to a bad video card. They replaced the entire Mother Board at a cost of $330.15. My computer was out of warranty so I can't imagine that your repair would be any more than mine unless they had to replace other parts like the keyboard etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a MacBook Pro and just got it back from Apple Repair due to a bad video card. They replaced the entire Mother Board at a cost of $330.15. My computer was out of warranty so I can't imagine that your repair would be any more than mine unless they had to replace other parts like the keyboard etc.

I don't think so. Logic board alone is $399.95 not counting labor to install and test. And as I said to the OP who knows what else has to be replaced in addition to the logic board? Could run him almost as much as a refurbished MacBook.

See here for cost of parts:

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBook-13-Inch-2-GHz-C2D-Mid-2007/86/108

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think so. Logic board alone is $399.95 not counting labor to install and test. And as I said to the OP who knows what else has to be replaced in addition to the logic board? Could run him almost as much as a refurbished MacBook.

See here for cost of parts:

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBook-13-Inch-2-GHz-C2D-Mid-2007/86/108

Regards.

LOL, dude I have the receipt to prove it. Not sure if I got some sort of discount but that is the price I paid. Work performed at Apple store in Orlando, FL. Besides, the price list you are providing a link to is for retail and is not from Apple. It's a 3rd party vendor.

I paid Apple $210 for the board and $100 for labor plus tax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On October 10 Apple posted Article TS2377 titled "MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issue". Apple finally acknowledged that the video chips used in some MacBook Pro computers were faulty. If the nVidia graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is OUT of warranty. Apple is also issuing refunds to customers (Yay!) who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process.

Way to go Apple! I have renewed faith in you once again. ;D

See also: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.