macbook trackpad and keyboard wont work - bootcamp xp

Reaction score
I've just installed windows xp through boot camp onto my macbook pro, everything went fine untill i installed the drivers cd and now my trackpad and keyboard wont work, I've heard others with this problem but can't find a fix. can I repair windows or reinstall?
I just dont know how to uninstall windows, I cant boot windows, it opens but then cant do anything.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I've just installed windows xp through boot camp onto my macbook pro, everything went fine untill i installed the drivers cd and now my trackpad and keyboard wont work, I've heard others with this problem but can't find a fix. can I repair windows or reinstall?
I just dont know how to uninstall windows, I cant boot windows, it opens but then cant do anything.
Any suggestions?

Hi karah,

I did a bit or research on this issue and found a couple of things for you. The first is to follow the steps below:

1] while rebooting into windows hold down the F8 key.
2] when the options are presented choose "last known working settings..." or similar
3] you will then get back to your pre-driver update but at least you will have a stable windows back up and runnning

Here is a solution from someone who had trackpad/keyboard issues like you and although their situation may have been totally different to yours I'm posting it anyway, just on the off chance:

I was a fresh install of Boot Camp/XP. As I installed the Apple drivers, it crashed. Not unusual for Windows so I simply rebooted. I got check disk errors on XP restart (not good but considering the crash not unusual). After the restart, the keyboard and mouse/track pad would not function at all.

I sat back and tried to think about what happened. I realized I had taken a shortcut. I read that you can extract the Apple drivers and not actually burn/waste a CD. I had simply copied those drivers from my Mac to my FAT32 XP drive.

I went back, reformatted and reinstalled XP this time using a true CD to load the Apple drivers and everything went perfectly.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanx, but I've tried going back to my "last known working settings" but I just have the same problem, it goes back to the same version.

I did use a cd, so thats not the problem either

what would happen if I reinstalled windows and just didn't load the drivers?

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok so now I have no idea what to do.
I tried repairing XP, then reinstalled XP, it worked a couple times, but on about my 4th swap between OS's windows just wouldn't load, froze, went through some checks and then froze again. Now I cant get into the windows partition at all.

This is completely ridiculous, think it's time to give up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I had this problem as well..

The first time I solved it by simply doing a clean bootcamp install and then manually installing all the components on the CD EXCEPT the keyboard and trackpad drivers.

I recently reinstalled bootcamp and ran into the exact same issue. This time I repaired my windows XP installation and everything still seems to be working perfectly except it "forgets" my bluetooth keyboard pairing every time I reboot...

Oh well!

Reaction score
Solution that works

Ok, I had the same problem... installed windows xp pro sp2 exactly according to boot camp instructions... ran and installed the drivers off the mac drivers CD burned before doing anything, and it caused my macbook pro's keyboard and trackpad to stop working. fiddled around with this for a while to get it to finally work. if you go to control panel > add or remove programs, scroll down to the list of 'Windows Driver Package,' you need to remove/uninstall the three things: 2 of those entries say something like (aat***), which i can't tell you exactly how it's spelled because I got rid of them, and the third is something that says keymedia. One of the three says mouse, if that helps. You're basically uninstalling the keyboard, trackpad, and mouse drivers, and voila! everything works now. Trackpad and keyboard. It's perfect and doesn't affect anything else. So frustrating, but finally stumbled upon fixing it.

btw: plug in at least a usb mouse to carry this out. might be obvious, but probably should point it out.

Reaction score
Great advice!

Ok, I had the same problem... installed windows xp pro sp2 exactly according to boot camp instructions... ran and installed the drivers off the mac drivers CD burned before doing anything, and it caused my macbook pro's keyboard and trackpad to stop working. fiddled around with this for a while to get it to finally work. if you go to control panel > add or remove programs, scroll down to the list of 'Windows Driver Package,' you need to remove/uninstall the three things: 2 of those entries say something like (aat***), which i can't tell you exactly how it's spelled because I got rid of them, and the third is something that says keymedia. One of the three says mouse, if that helps. You're basically uninstalling the keyboard, trackpad, and mouse drivers, and voila! everything works now. Trackpad and keyboard. It's perfect and doesn't affect anything else. So frustrating, but finally stumbled upon fixing it.

btw: plug in at least a usb mouse to carry this out. might be obvious, but probably should point it out.

EUREKA! Thanks for the tip!

My keyboard was working in Boot Camp XP 1.4, but not my trackpad. I kept trying to install the drivers from the Boot Camp Drivers CD, but the Device Manager kept saying the trackpad still had a problem and could not start.

Based on your advice above, I removed the 'Windows Driver Package' for the trackpad, rebooted, and then installed this trackpad driver from makel.org. And voila! My trackpad is back! :*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.