Macbook Tester E-Mails: SPAM?

Reaction score
First, Merry Christmas to all, and I hope we all enjoy a healthy and safe New Year 2021.

Question: I've been getting a lot of unsolicited e-mails to be a MacBook tester. I have assumed that these were SPAM, and I have deleted them. But there are so many of them, all directed at me, who just has a MacBook service repair, that it made me wonder if they could be legit.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably SPAM if unsolicited. And, I've never heard of someone being a MacBook tester. Beta tester for software, yes, but usually you need to sign up for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is a Macbook tester? Apple releases their software through Developer channels and allows you to beta test it before it's released to the general public. However, Apple does not have anything similar for hardware though.

OP
M
Reaction score
What is a Macbook tester? Apple releases their software through Developer channels and allows you to beta test it before it's released to the general public. However, Apple does not have anything similar for hardware though.

I don't know what a MacBook tester is. I didn't click on anything, I just trashed it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you get another, just single click on the sender's name and it will reveal the site from which it came. This is perfectly harmless and I would guess it either comes from the people who did the service/repair (assuming that it was not Apple), or from a spammer whose email address will read like gobbledygook.

Another clue will be the way the sender addresses you - by Dear Sir, your whole name (John Doe), or just a generic name like Customer. Also look at the grammar and spelling. Often giveaways.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Received two more today. The sender's e-mail was something like "[email protected]" or "[email protected]." The message was to the effect of let us send you a new MacBook to test, and, when you're done, you can keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The message was to the effect of let us send you a new MacBook to test, and, when you're done, you can keep it.

I wonder how much B.S. or phishing is associated with this article???

Or do you really want to sell your soul and body...???

A question you will have to answer yourself I would think.

Have a read here:

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not quite phishing, it's just a scam. In a phishing attack, the attacker is trying to get your account to access things like bank accounts and other things.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Marrk

The senders' email addresses are as I suggested in post #6 - gobbledegook. Forget about them or set up a rule in Mail to send them to Trash or Erase. Trouble is, they cunningly alter the email address each time they send it making it difficult to set up such rules.

And BTW, there could be a "phishing" component to this: if you followed up the email and said you were interested, my guess is they would say they were going to send you a Mac to test; but ask you to pay a substantial deposit which would be returned at the end of the "testing" at which time you could keep the Mac.

Problem is: the Mac would never arrive and the so called deposit is your loss. They would also have your card details etc.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.