MacBook stuck on black screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
While I was using my 2011 MacBook Pro (Chrome and MacGameStore open, just installed trial version of AutoCAD), the MacBook screen just went black, and the keyboard was not lit up anymore. Just the breathing light was on.

I tried forcing a reboot with the power button, I hear the sound of the MacBook turning on, and then the fans running at full speed and stopping after a minute or two, but the screen stays black/off, and the keyboard doesn't light up either. The only way I can tell the laptop's on is from the "breathing light", which stays on.

I have tried the 3 options given on http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/22/fix-macbook-pro-booting-black-screen/ , which were an SMC reset, a keypress sequence to put the Mac to sleep and reboot, and a PRAM reset, but nothing has worked. I've also tried increasing brightness (just in case), but nothing happens, and the Caps Lock key doesn't light up green when pressed. Just the breathing light stays on, the screen and keyboard remain off and unresponsive.

Would appreciate any help regarding what else I should try to fix this issue. Please let me know if more info is required.

Thanks

M

MacInWin

Does it work with an external monitor? If so, it's the screen or backlight on the MBP and not the graphics chip. Lacking an external monitor you can also get a flashlight (torch) and look from the side of the screen to see if things are being displayed, in which case the backlight has failed. But be aware that the 2011 MBP was the subject of an extended maintenance program from Apple because of the graphics chip that unfortunately ended last December. And it's likely that the CAD program forced the chip into a high graphics mode, which may well have triggered it to fail. When mine failed, it was exactly that kind of software that triggered it to finally die.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
Oh god I hope it's not that then :/ I don't have an external monitor, and I tried using my phone's flashlight and couldn't see anything.

Seems like my only option is to take it to an Apple store, not sure if they'd consider looking at such an old MacBook though.

Is there anything else I can try or check?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seems like my only option is to take it to an Apple store, not sure if they'd consider looking at such an old MacBook though.

You might want to give it a try anyway. The early 2011 models are considered vintage and Apple will not work on them, however, the late 2011 models are still supported for Apple repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.