macbook repair: what happens to parts?

Reaction score
Last week I spilled tea all over my 15" macbook pro retina. I brought it in for repair and they're changing all of the parts except the screen. It costs slightly less than a new machine ($2500 vs $2800)

Since I'm paying for the repair (or rather, my insurance is), can I get the old parts? The 512gb SSD, for example, still works -- but, because there's tea residue on it, they can't guarantee it and so they have to replace it so that the machine can remain warrantied.

I wouldn't mind having the spare parts for when the warranty expires. Note that I am paying the full cost of the repair + parts, it is NOT warrantied. I should have asked at the store, but I only thought about it after I left.

Reaction score
Well if your using your insurance then your insurance company owns the damaged goods.

Its just like a car. If you total a car that is worth 5000 dollars the insurance company gives you 5000 dollars and keeps the car. if you want the car back they will usually only give you lets say 4000 dollars and the car.

MAke sense?

OP
S
Reaction score
parts

Well if your using your insurance then your insurance company owns the damaged goods.

Its just like a car. If you total a car that is worth 5000 dollars the insurance company gives you 5000 dollars and keeps the car. if you want the car back they will usually only give you lets say 4000 dollars and the car.

MAke sense?

My insurance company has a claim to the macbook parts, if they want them. If so, they can contact me.

The repair transaction is happening between apple and me, not my insurance company. Apple doesn't know or care about my insurance company. Regardless of whether I end up remitting the parts back to my insurance company, the question remains: can I get the parts back from Apple?

Reaction score
My insurance company has a claim to the macbook parts, if they want them. If so, they can contact me.

The repair transaction is happening between apple and me, not my insurance company. Apple doesn't know or care about my insurance company. Regardless of whether I end up remitting the parts back to my insurance company, the question remains: can I get the parts back from Apple?

I decided to change my tone. Listen to pigoo3 below me.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...the question remains: can I get the parts back from Apple?

I haven't heard of anyone getting the old parts back. Usually…the old parts are no good…thus they wouldn't do the computer owner any good to have them.

Regardless if we say that YES or NO as to whether you can get the old parts back…you still need to contact the Apple Store that did the repair. So just call the store and ask them.

The problem now is (after some time has passed)…the old parts may have been thrown away…or commingled with other bad parts.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
parts

I haven't heard of anyone getting the old parts back. Usually…the old parts are no good…thus they wouldn't do the computer owner any good to have them.

Regardless if we say that YES or NO as to whether you can get the old parts back…you still need to contact the Apple Store that did the repair. So just call the store and ask them.

The problem now is (after some time has passed)…the old parts may have been thrown away…or commingled with other bad parts.

- Nick

Yeah, I just called them and they won't give me back the old parts. If I were paying out of pocket for this I'd be quite angry. Apple does not own those parts. As it is, whatever, I'm just glad I have insurance and it's being repaired.

Thanks to all who replied, and to the first replyer: I wasn't flaming. It's hard to tell on the forums sometimes. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just called them and they won't give me back the old parts. If I were paying out of pocket for this I'd be quite angry. Apple does not own those parts. As it is, whatever, I'm just glad I have insurance and it's being repaired.

I think that different industries have differing norms. In the auto repair business…it's not uncommon for the owner to ask for the old parts. For example…have all 4 tires replaced…if you ask for the 4 old ones back…they will probably be more than happy to give them to you.

In the computer repair business…it's just not the norm to return the old "bad" parts. EXCEPT…usually they give you old storage devices back. I know that it is definitely Best Buys policy to return old hard drives (and probably SSD's)…if this is the specific part being replaced.

Otherwise stuff like a:

- bad logic board
- bad video card
- bad ram
- bad trackpad
- bad keyboard
- bad cables
- etc.

None of these bad parts really do the end-user any good. Since the end-user cannot repair them…and these bad parts aren't worth anything either to the end user (eBay).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I just called them and they won't give me back the old parts.

I could have told you that but came into the thread a bit late. Apple's policy is to keep parts that are removed and dispose of them in accordance with consumer laws or EPA regulations. You'll have to get the details from them if you want to pursue this any further.

OP
S
Reaction score
parts

I think that the only part that was actually bad was the keyboard. The rest of it was coated in tea but could probably still have been rescued because the machine booted and I could access my files, but the machine would shut off after 30 seconds (stuck power button due to keyboard short). I'm glad they're changing everything though -- my insurance only covers me for 90 days after purchase, so I don't want any tea-induced surprises six months from now.

I could have told you that but came into the thread a bit late. Apple's policy is to keep parts that are removed and dispose of them in accordance with consumer laws or EPA regulations. You'll have to get the details from them if you want to pursue this any further.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the only part that was actually bad was the keyboard.

I seriously doubt it. When liquid is spilt on a notebook computer…the liquid gets everywhere & gets everywhere quickly. The 30 second shutdown due to a stuck/sticky power button…again I doubt it.

I would say that more than 95% of notebook computers that have liquid spilled on them…suffer serious damage (logic board needs to be replaced).

How do we know this…just read this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

The important part is…the repair didn't cost you anything…and you got the computer back working 100%!:)

- Nick

p.s. What did "we" learn with this experience?? STOP DRINKING BEVERAGES AROUND NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS!!!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.