MacBook Pro won't read CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, if it's an application like a database holding the data the answer is probably not. And given that the concordance is like a dictionary, just having a text file would not be of much use. I have a print version of Strong's and there are lots of cross references that would get lost in text format. So while normally I would agree, in this case I think text is of very limited use. Plus, he can't mount the disc to read it at all at this point, apparently. Once it's mounted the next step is getting it read or usable some way.

krs

Reaction score
Initializing a CD is similar to formatting a drive in that it makes the disk writeable.

I don't remember ever having to initialize a writable CD, I just pop the CD-R into the CD drive and burn away.
But I haven't burned a CD or DVD for years now, so I might have forgotten.

I wonder if the CD billwill has is actually a burned CD rather than a pressed commercial one - then your comment about it not being closed properly could well be the reason it's not readable.

and if it is a burned CD, the CD drive in the Mac may not be able to read it - I have had that problem.
Solution was to use an external CD drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, normally the burner software does the initialization as part of the burn. Then once the data is burned to the drive, the closing process puts the directory information in place so that the disk is readable and files can be found on the disk. If that closing doesn't work properly, or isn't done at all, the disk is unreadable and sometimes the report is that it is "uninitialized" when it should be reported as "unreadable." Pressed CDs don't have that issue. But in this case I am very suspicious that this disk has 32 bit software on it, which won't run, so when it tries to mount and the autorun kicks in to try to execute the un-runnable software the failure is interpreted as a disk failure instead of the software failure.

Or the disk is in upside down. Good call on that one. Been there, done that, seem to be able to do it again like I had never done it before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd be contacting the developers and creators of the CD regarding the problem. They should have a proper answer.

It seems it says it's Mac compatible, but that may be for an earlier MacOS version.
Just a thought and suggestion...

Patrick
--------

krs

Reaction score
I just took a look at the book on Amazon - I would think the CD is definitely a standard commercial pressed CD

..... in this case I am very suspicious that this disk has 32 bit software on it, which won't run, so when it tries to mount and the autorun kicks in to try to execute the un-runnable software the failure is interpreted as a disk failure instead of the software failure.

Hmmm.... that's another potential snag upgrading to Catalina that never crossed my mind - some older CDs or DVDs with 32-bit software on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I suspect that there is software on the disk is the way Strong's is organized. You first look up a word in English, find the verse in which it is used and get a reference to where the word from which the English was translated, either Hebrew, Chaldean, or Greek, and then look up that reference to get the full explanation of that word for all of the nuances of it. So, for example, in 1 Thessalonians, chapter 4, verse 17 says, "Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air." If you look in Strong's for the word "caught" you find it, then look for the cross reference for that word in that verse and get a pointer to item 726 in the Greek section. Item 726 in the Greek section is ηαρπαζο transliterated as harpazo, and has nuances of being caught up, or away, or plucked or pulled or taken by force. So those nuances help the Bible student get a better feeling for what St. Paul was telling the Thessalonians. What I suspect the software does is let the user search for an English word, pick the verse from which that word is being taken and then shows the Greek, Chaldean, or Hebrew original text with the definitions for that word. Otherwise the CD would be just files of words that required extensive searching to piece it together, much like what has to be done with the book version of the concordance. So if that software is set to run automatically when the disk is inserted and it's only 32 bit, then it will fail under Catalina.

For the OP the options are now limited. It is challenging to back up from Catalina to Mojave because of what is done to the drive structure under Catalina. I suppose he could look to see if he can create a virtual system running Mojave for this application, or maybe a Windows system via Bootcamp or a virtual machine, but those are awkward when all he wants is to be able to put the CD in the drive and get what he needs. I would also suspect that if he contacted the publisher of the book about the CD that the answer would be that a Mac version for Catalina is not available yet, although he might get lucky with that path. It's certainly worth trying before going any other route.

Let's hope the CD is upside down. That's the best alternative!

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Hello, gentlemen. I inserted the CD label side down and the Mac immediately ejected it. It is the commercial CD furnished with the Strong's Concordance.

I will download freeoffice (thanks for that) and see if that works; if not, I'll contact the publisher. Sorry to take all this time but I really appreciate the kindness and thoughtfulness you guys have shown me. Have a great week!!

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@billwill, the FreeOffice is a replacement for Word and has nothing to do with the CD. Just wanted to make sure you knew that. If the CD won't mount at all, you will need to contact the publisher/printer of the book to see if there is an update available.

krs

Reaction score
Hello, gentlemen. I inserted the CD label side down and the Mac immediately ejected it. It is the commercial CD furnished with the Strong's Concordance.

I will download freeoffice (thanks for that) and see if that works; if not, I'll contact the publisher.
l

Just to be clear since you put this into one sentence.
Free Office is an alternative to Microsoft Office, it has nothing to do with the CD not loading.
On the CD problem, I would suggest that you try it with a Mac running an older version of macOS if you have access to one - also contact the publisher as Patrick suggested.
It's also possible that the CD is defective, but the 32-bit app on the CD I think is the more likely issue.

PS: I was busy taking screenshots about another forum problem while Jake was posting.
At least we're both saying the same thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Where could I find an alternative to Word, et.al.? For no cost?

I've been a Microsoft user for 25 years (OFFICE, etc.) but now can't edit any of my WORD documents unless I pay $99 to Microsoft. I also cannot create a new WORD document or use any of the OFFICE apps. Jerks.
Hi billwill,

Can't advise you on your CD problem, but I have good news: you don't need Microsoft Word (or any other part of the MS Office Suite) in order to create, open and edit Word files. LibreOffice is a FREE, open-source alternative to MS Office. I've been using it very happily for years. It's very reliable and if you're used to MS Word/Office, you'll find it very familiar and easy to use.

By default it saves documents in the open-source .odt filetype, but you can choose to save documents in any filetype, including all the variants of MS Word (.doc, .docx etc.)

Here's a link to the LibreOffice website: LibreOffice - - Say goodbye to handing over money to Microsoft! :)

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Bill

Shouldn’t the CD label be side up?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, that was his test to assure that it wasn't upside down. Previously it wasn't ejected, just not mounted. Upside down it was rejected. So it's being read, but not mounted, which argues for autorun software blocking the mount process. It's looking like a 32-bit problem.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks, Jake. I misunderstood. Sorry.

Ian

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for LibreOffice !!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@billwill:

I wonder if you have ever been to this site:

https://tecartabible.com/store

I have a collection of digital books from them which also includes "Strongs Concordance" for the NASB. The nice thing about their app is once purchased you can access the books from any browser with your Mac or PC. I have a large collection of their Bibles, commentaries, study Bibles, etc, downloaded to my iPhone and iPad. Take a look at what they have and maybe buy one or two books. None of their books are expensive and are very easy to access. I long ago gave up of CDs and DVDs. Most of the discs and paper books that I have are gathering dust on my bookshelf. :)

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gentlemen: I contacted the published and they are sending me the latest CD. I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks to you all for your expertise and thoughtfulness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
Dvd

Is the DVD US or UK ? US uses NTSC format; UK PALS format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Gentlemen: I contacted the published and they are sending me the latest CD. I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks to you all for your expertise and thoughtfulness.
Did they confirm it is 64-bit and will work on macOS?

krs

Reaction score
Did they confirm it is 64-bit and will work on macOS?

My guess is that the publisher doesn't have a clue - probably doesn't even know what the question means

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.